Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lighting a 20 gallon

4 posters

Go down

lighting a 20 gallon Empty lighting a 20 gallon

Post by seaponygirl Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm

My reef critters are increasing, sort of. I bought a new red mushroom and treasure chest of zoa's and a hairy mushroom. Remember those old ceramic treasure chests for fresh water? I found one at Aquarium Experience (?) the one at the Fargo mall. It was encrusted with the Zoa's and the hairy mushroom. I have an 18 inch led, double bright Marineland light, it says it's 7000 K, also that led bulb some of got from Cammie. I move the angle of bulb 3 times a day, pointing it at different areas. If I stick to these soft corals, it is enough light? Anyone have a better suggestion. I really don't want to go with MH. Thanks for your IMOs

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

lighting a 20 gallon Empty Re: lighting a 20 gallon

Post by cdness Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

So first question I have is... Where is Aquarium Experience? I have never heard of it but if they are in Fargo I want to go check them out. All I know about is Pets R Inn and Great Pets...

Do you have a 20 long or 20 tall? They are different dimensions so can require different lighting.

If the marineland LED is actually 7000K that is a little on the yellow side for many of the corals. I have a feeling that light is meant for freshwater tanks, not saltwater...

That LED bulb, if it is the same one Cammie got, it will be good for the tank, but I don't know if it is enough for a 20 long. A 20 tall with the lamp higher up may give good enough coverage, but you'd have to try it out and you may need to place the rock work like a centered island.

Also there is no need to go with MH lighting if you don't want to. There are many T-5 and LED options out there. At the least just get another PAR-30 LED bulb like you have and run 2 of them. That may be the least expensive option as they are for sale for around $80-100 brand new and last forever (if you don't drop them into the water)...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm running pc's on my 12G nano tank and am perfectly happy with them for what it's worth. You do not need mh's for sure if you're going to stick with softies IMO.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 am

Hi, it's a 20 long. I misnamed the pet shop, it was Pets R Inn. i was very impressed. I got a hairy mushroom in the treasure chest, and he has shriveled up and pulled all the way inside. He was expanding yesterday. Could this be a night time phenomen? or just an adjustment? I hope i don't lose him.
Thanks for the advice on the lights. Sounds workable to me. I do like the LEDs. Would 10K be the one I should use? All opinions appreciated.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 am

If the LED will be your main lighting I'd look into more around the 14K range. But if you are adding o the one you have, try to match them so they look the same.

FYI you sent me on a long wild goose chase trying to find this mystery store in Fargo Wink I was like oooo new store.... and went searching... lol
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by little_ocean_treasures Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 pm

The Marineland double bright LED lighting is great for illuminating a freshwater aquarium or a saltwater fish only (or with live rock). It's really not designed for growing corals very much. There are many LED light options for growing corals so you can still stick with LEDs if you like them. I just wouldn't recommend using the Marineland for corals personally. Wink

I got a hairy mushroom a couple of months ago and I think they are cool...and easy to care for. lighting a 20 gallon 818842
little_ocean_treasures
little_ocean_treasures
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down