Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! Clove polyps again

+4
Swanwillow
HSCmember
cdness
blennieluvr
8 posters

Go down

HELP!  Clove polyps again Empty HELP! Clove polyps again

Post by blennieluvr Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm getting overwhelmed with these stupid clove polyp outbreaks. I keep thinking I have things under control only to find another breakout somewhere else. They are now spreading on the acrylic lattice Jason built for our rockwork. I'm looking for anyone willing to come over and help me 1) formulate a plan and 2) put it into action. I think this might call for taking down all of the current rockwork so it may take a couple of hours or so. Let me know if you're willing and when you can come. I'm out Monday and Wednesday eves and am going to Duluth Saturday. I will not turn away help if you can come at any other time. And, you can take some clove polyps with you when you go! LOL I have some other frags I'd be glad to gift as thank you's as well.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

HELP!  Clove polyps again Empty Re: HELP! Clove polyps again

Post by cdness Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:59 pm

If it was summer I would be all over assisting. Unfortunately I won't be in that area any time soon Sad. Hope all goes well.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 am

I could help you Cammie, you'd just have to tell me what to do. I appear to have killed the ones in the science center tank.. not on purpose. They have been decreasing for some time, I think the light increase after I cleaned the bulbs and reflectors got to them.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 am

Lasers...

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/74420-use-lasers-controlling-pest-algae-corals.html

I wonder if they could get some small, but powerful enough to mount to a school of chromies...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 pm

ROFL. I can imagine pretty blue and green damsels going around in a tank doing just that.

I pm'd you back Cammie, I'm free anytime you need me Very Happy
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Well clearly Jodi needs to train the cherub angel to only eat clove polyps and problem solved for everyone.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I wonder if that's possible... hmmmm
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:52 pm

update:
A couple of weeks ago, Jodi helped me take all the rock work apart. It was overwhelming at first but not so bad once we got started. We threw stuff in tubs and bucekts and scrubbed anything that had pesty xenia and cloves on it, we rinsed and re-aquascaped the tank without the acrylic rack Jason made. And, pulled off all the green paly patches we could find too. (Now to figure out how to rid myself of the purple mushrooms....) It looks nice (I know...pics!). And, so far, I haven't found a single patch of cloves!! HELP!  Clove polyps again 313206 I did have one rockslide since the redo but no casualties so not a big deal. I hope it worked although I have my doubts. I just feel those cloves are seeded in that rock somewhere. This type of attack might have to be a biannual or annual deal.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by little_ocean_treasures Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 pm

And here's me who can't hardly grow clove and star polyps (sad) as they are some of my fave...I just have a problem with the Xenia instead. grrr! lol
little_ocean_treasures
little_ocean_treasures
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:11 pm

I'll try to remember to see if you want some if my tank starts another patch. It's pretty purple stuff but I don't want it growing on my other corals and it doesn't care what I want so it does it anyway.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Figures. As soon as I type about having the upper hand, I see another breakout of cloves in my tank. It's on a rock toward the top of the rockwork though so I'm just going to take off the two pieces of SPS that are on it and take the rock out. If someone else wants it, I'd trade them for another cloveless piece of rock. But, you better act fast as I don't plan to sit and wait for them to spread.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 am

I have totally stripped my tank a couple times Now and still have those Dang things. Crying or Very sad
I think I'm going to Break down and Buy a Mojano wand.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

For cloves I'd consider the laser approach before the majano wand. The wand won't be able to burn up the base of the coral and it will just come back...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah the laser would be cool but I know me I hate Clove polyps I would want to kill them all Right now and would drive my paraments way up, with the wand I could just get small areas at a time and for me the way I hate these things the wand would work best.......LOL.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I need to check prices on these weapons! I hate them enough to enjoy some Star Wars action!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Not sure I have found recent info on the wand and lazer and might have to research more as I have at least 4 patches of cloves coming back. (And, that's after the one I donated to Jim last weekend after the meting.) Sad I have had thoughts of just starting over with a new tank until I start to do the math. LOL I sure do hate these things though. Wish they weren't so pretty....

Last edited by blennieluvr on Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Read this:
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/74420-use-lasers-controlling-pest-algae-corals.html

I want one really bad... I may have to buy one for controlling some of the palys I have that are overtaking a side of my tank.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:16 pm

They r really easy to make I have a DIY one laying around somewhere
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I've been toying with this DIY idea. I thought I had the hubby all geared up to build one but so far, I'm still waiting. And, as I wait, more little patches of cloves pop out. I DO NOT suggest trying to scrub them off the rock as I believe this is how they have spread through my tank. My best attack to date has been putting putty over them if I can and taking the rock out when can't and to just keep checking for them so I can hit them with putty before they get to be a big colony. I may have to build my own zapper and/or get a fish that has an appetite for the cute little buggers.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down