Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return pumps

5 posters

Go down

Return pumps Empty Return pumps

Post by tinkerman Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 pm

I have a rio+3100 I am using for a return. I am down to 3 impeller blades yet so it is either a new impeller or get a different pump. Any recomendations on return pumps. I have been thinking of mag 9.5, Ocean runner 3500, quiet one 4000, maxi jet 4500. I would like to hear opinions on return pumps. The only thing I don't like about the rio is the impeller design.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Return pumps Empty Re: Return pumps

Post by danreefs Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 am

I like my quiet one 3000
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:29 pm

I have the mag 9.5 but I think I went with it mainly because it was cheaper than the other ones I was looking at, haven't had any complaints or problems with it though.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:43 am

Shaun at Pets R Inn sells the Marineland return pumps. So far he has had no major issues with them. I run a Catalina Aquarium pump as my return and have nad no issues with them. I have a OR6500 as my closed loop right now and it is a nice pump too.

I have heard of heat issues with the mag pumps but they are very reliable. QuietOne pumps I have heard mixed reviews but still a good bargain pump.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Tinkerman.
Pumps are pumps now a days, they all have pretty much the same designs,some say theres run cooler some say they don't draw as much amps when your looking for a pump that put's out 950 gph+ your copper coil has to be so big and you need a certain amount of power to run that coil "period" and since your pump sits in the water regaurdless of insulated housing or not the heat of that coil radiate in the water with any head pressure pump or magnet powered Impeller driven pump keeping the impeller housing clean and free of debris build up will keep drag off your impeller and less draw on the motor,motor will run cooler.
I have a Mag 2 I have been using for over 15 years now to mix my saltwater..Return pumps 818842

as most know I have always used Mag pumps there simple and there customer service is pretty good that in itself is important.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Jim sorry but I will disagree with you about all pumps beeing the same as the rio's have a very different impeller design and some have ceramic shafts and metal shafts. Here is a pic of the rio impeller so everyone can see what I am talking about. http://www.opentip.com/Pet-Supplies/Rio-Hp-Replacement-Impeller-p-1949696.html
I went with a quiet one 4000 , it has a ceramic shaft that I am not fond of but we'll see if it lasts longer than the other one I had in the past. Cdness sorry after my steath heater cracked don't think I will buy any mairineland products after that.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:40 pm

yeah your right I did say pumps I ment more on the inside the motor are all the same concept and all need the same power to produce the GHP it's made for the larger the pump the more heat it will produce .
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 am

Yeah no personal experience with the Marineland, just word of mouth. That rio impeller is odd...

cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down