Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need advice on a tank move...

5 posters

Go down

I need advice on a tank move... Empty I need advice on a tank move...

Post by Nannook Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 am

I just bought a new 90 gal rr. I will need to move everything from one to the other. I will be using the same refugium 20 gal long, much of the same sand, rock etc. I am going to try to drill some of the rock and insert fiberglass rods I bought at home depot. I think I need to use caution with disturbing the sand right, and adding any new (dead) material. If think I can set up some tubs to begin cycling some of this material now, with expectation of moving the end of September.
Nick
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

I need advice on a tank move... Empty Re: I need advice on a tank move...

Post by icereefer Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 am

How long has this tank been set up that your getting? myself if it's going to be added to a alreadly established tank I would just skim the top 1/2" layer of sand off the tank your getting you really don't need there built up debris in there sand in yours. then just flush and clean the remaining for later use. as for rodding your rock that works great if your making tower piles but if your going with shelfs and caves rock puddy works just as good.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 pm

What kind of putty? Interesting, like plumbers putty? Makes sense. Oh and tank is brand new, Matt and I worked our butts off, but I got a great deal because we are club members and a nice fellow member. Anyway, it is a new tank. I am cycling some sand and extra rock now in a tub for install the end of Sept. But yes, I want piles of shelves and caves.

And, is there an advantage to placing the egg crate in first and packing sand in that?
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Yeah i use plumbers putty,as goes for the egg create I wouldn't put that in under the sand bed it will make little square trash bends, were debris can build.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Good to know. So what else you got, come on, don't hold back. I really try to not learn everything the hard way. I am cycling some rock and sand now, so I will have that ready to go. I want to drill and rod that and plop it back in the cycling tank, taking advantage of the nice sunny weather for a little out door prep work.

Unrelated, I read yesterday to use concrete block with Live rock glued on for a base rock. Fill the center holes with LR and build baby build. (not an exact quote from Julian Sprung, The Reef Aquarium vol 3) I am excited to try this, talk about porous and stable, with built in caves, and cheap. No one else seems excited about this possible resource.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Cycling new rock now is a great idea! Can't think of anything else to add.

blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Why are you not drill and rodding it before you cycle? No need to prolong the cycle. Just my thought.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 pm

No time right now, but the rock won't die if I just take it out, drill and return to the tank. It drills quickly with no contamination. And I am not sure yet what I want to drill and rod. I figure I have a month and a half of good out door cycling weather to come up with a design.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Just moving tanks or moving to a new house as well? Just moving the tank itself is usually easy. Moving to a diferent residence on the other hand has some additional considerations.

I am in a bit of disagreement with ice up there on the eggcrate under the sand. Add enough sand to cover it and you'll be fine. The nice thing about it is you don't have pressure points on the glass as the eggcrate takes the rock weight and evenly distributes it on the bottom of the tank. Just a thought but one wrong move with a rock pile can lead to disaster. I didn't do it the first time I set it up but added it the second time and I am very happy with the results.

Drilling after cycling shouldn't be an issue. The short time out of the water shouldn't cause any major issues.

Just remember to not use ALL new water. Try to use as much of the old water as you can. I don't know what you are moving from but hopefully it's at least 50% of the 90G
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:28 am

Thank you CD for the "pressure point" uh point. I am going from a 55 to the 90. I helped Matt move some tanks so I know to use all the water I can. Not moving house, just take down 55 and set up 90, even same sump, that should help, but I will have to drain the sump to move to the new stand.

Let me lay out my plan, please correct flaws you see:
Set up buckets and tubs, drain much water into these with pumps or air stones and heaters in each tub and bucket. Place rock in some, and fish and inverts in others. Drain all the rest of the water into MORE buckets. Catch all fish and put in one tub with air stones running.

Drag old tank out of the way and drag new tank and stand into previous space. Move sump, return its water and circulate with small pump. [this is where I am not sure because of the hydrogen something gas in the old sand, scoop old sand and place in new tank? Or install newly cycled sand into new tank? I am trying to figure out if the old aragonite and organisms will die back if disturbed, or release the hydrogen gas and poison the new tank?] Aquascape already drilled rock and thread rods to position, in partially refilled 90, begin to add back fish and LPS's - zoas - snails etc. Fill tank and start circulation pumps and fine tune flow and wave pumps. Put in extra charcoal bags and filter socks to catch and absorb the toxins and detritus stirred up.

What am I overlooking.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Put the rocks in the buckets then fill with water so you don't accidentally overfill the bucket when you drop in a rock...

The sand should get rinsed before putting it in the new tank as you don't want to bring over all the bad with the sand. Save a few scoops of the sand unrinsed trying to stay away from the deeper sand. Rinse the rest then when adding, add the unrinsed to the top layer. Be sure to add the sand before water and use a plastic bag or a bowl to dump water on and prevent or reduce the sandstorm.

Try to let the tank settle before adding the fish. Keep them in a temporary tank until it has settled a bit.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:30 am

Ah, good. thank you.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down