Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vacation planning advice wanted

2 posters

Go down

Vacation planning advice wanted Empty Vacation planning advice wanted

Post by Nannook Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 am

Hello gang:
My Darlin' Bride and I are going to Jersey to see the Grand kids. I have requested a friend and club member to come "tank sit" for me. I am working towards minimum maintenance but I am not very close. Pacifically (yes I know I am using the wrong word, but relating to fish I cannot help myself, where was I?) pacifically, I do not have a dosing system.
What I have is an ATO with a 7 gallon reservoir holding RO. My float valves kick in and keep my tank at the correct level.
My question to you, should you decide to accept... can I put a weeks worth of kalkwasser (approx 2 gallons diluted to the other 5 gal of RO) AND my week doses of Magnesium, aprox 2 cups, AND my strontium, etc all mixed together in my top off water?
OR
Should I just try to see if my tank sitter can follow my strange daily rituals. Or even every other day to stop by and feed and dose?
Now that I write this all down, I think my answer is apparent. But I guess I would like to hear your advice anyway. Maybe give me ideas for what to ask Santa for NEXT year.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Vacation planning advice wanted Empty Re: Vacation planning advice wanted

Post by cdness Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 am

Answer: It doesn't work well to mix all dosing stuf into the ATO and cross your fingers...

First question would be how long will you be gone?

I'd say if you saturated the top off water with kalk you'd be just fine letting it run on its own. I have dosers but don't have them set up yet (stupid me). Here's my plan:

Trip: total 5 days less than 3 hours away...
1 - 7G slightly saturated top off container with a spare to swap out if evap is too much
2 - Have someone stop by each day and do the feeding and verify the water level is OK
3 - Set my AC3 to email/Text me if there are any issues (done last night after a wireless router flash to client mode)
4 - Have fun on my trip

Honestly if you have a small CA/ALK drop in a weeks time you should be fine. Lower the photo period and your usage may go down a bit as well...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Vacation planning advice wanted Empty Re: Vacation planning advice wanted

Post by Nannook Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:43 am

Good advice, will do. Thank you.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish