Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my anemone pulling up roots?

+3
Mn. reef crzy
danreefs
Nannook
7 posters

Go down

Is my anemone pulling up roots? Empty Is my anemone pulling up roots?

Post by Nannook Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:21 pm

I bought my first frag, a nice anemone, and he looks like he wants to go for a walk, he is up on tip toes, (pretty amazing) and looks like he wants to float away. I know they move, but how do they move, any risk I need to watch him to keep him from sucking into the filter or anything special I should know about?
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Is my anemone pulling up roots? Empty Re: Is my anemone pulling up roots?

Post by danreefs Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:25 pm

How big is your tank and what lights do you have? How old is the tank and what nem did you get?
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 pm

i have had a mover before, it liked to kill things.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:12 am

Ok, well, I was nervous, I turned out the lights 30 minutes early in hopes of settling him down, as of 11:00 p.m. he was still looking like he wanted to leap. I got up at 2 a.m. to check on him and he let go and was UNDER my foundation rock. (I do have good tank movement) So after scratching my head for few minutes I got out the tubs and started pulling out rock. I got down close to him and stuck my hand under to his base. He clung to my fingers and came along quietly officer.

So now what? It is 2:30 a.m. and I have a Sea Anemone wrapped around my fingers. Like taffy he sticks to whatever you give him. I lifted him out of the water and he gave a good blob imitation so I placed him on an open spot of real estate on one of the rocks in my tub. Then placed rock and "Scooter" (what else?) back into the tank. He raised from the plopped stance, to the 90 degree cling position, but he no longer looks like he is standing on a bridge railing and I suppose he is fine now.

Lessons learned:
A. If something looks like they are going to jump, they probably will, be proactive.

B. Anemones stick to fingers but only till lifted from the water. Don't panic.

(temporary signature: 29g Biocube new to hobby set up for almost 2 months)
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 am

Do you know what kind of nem it is? Generally they are very high light needing, like halides or a lot of T5's and most don't do well in a new tank, everything needs to be very stable for them. Also most get pretty big fast if they are well kept, your biocube will become a nem and nothing else kind of tank because they will move and sting corals. You can't really pick a spot for them, they will just move around until they find a happy place. I think your lighting is probably too low so it may never stop moving. If there's any powerheads in the tank they need to be covered with a sponge or removed.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Not sure of the kind, it has long tentacles it is pink with light green tips. That may have been why he jumped because my power head was giving him too much turbulence. I have him on the rock face and gently waving, he looks happier. My lighting is 2-10000K daylights and two Actinics compact flourecents all. The LFS said my lighting was adequate. As for growth size, I guess I will play by ear and trade in the future if he becomes a problem. Right now I only have him and some buttons. But thank you for the information. Is there a different small size Nem I should look into?
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Can we get a pic of him ? We need to know what kind of nem you have. some like to be on the rocks others on the sand bed. The one i have here is a LTA thay like sand

Is my anemone pulling up roots? 100_3006
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah that lighting is very low for nems, if it's a bubble tip it may be ok but long term you would want much higher lighting for it. Lesson #1, don't trust the salesmen, it's their job to make money off you. No one would recommend a nem for a newer nano tank with pc lighting, just not a good idea. Rock anemones are about the only non pest that are suitable for your setup, they usually don't move as much either but no guarentees.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Well here is my nem. At your suggestion I move a couple rocks to reduce the turbulence where he is, he seems happy. Will it help to run my lights 12 hours on? Different, light bulbs? 3 daylights 1 actinic? I have read the articles on lighting, and looked at the spectrum I guess I still don't understand. Isn't an Anemone considered a soft coral? And isn't that okay in my nano? {sigh}
Is my anemone pulling up roots? DSCN0295
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

You can have a nem in a nano. But he looks bleached. Just let him be and give him some time. He is stressed.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Looks like a long tenicle the foot should be redish in color. They like sand. Looks just like danreefs and mine. If it is they can reach 18 in diameter. The foot should tell you what it is though.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by schaver Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:42 am

could it be a condi it looks like one to me and i think they are ok with that sort of lighting. it looks like every thing else is doing good. Is my anemone pulling up roots? Icon_smile Thanks for the pic
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 am

I am not good at telling nems, it's either a condy which clowns don't generally host or a lta which gets gigantic. Anemones aren't a coral at all actually. Unfortunately the vast majority die within a year of being imported. Bad collection, bad care, beginner mistakes, etc. They are believed to live hundreds on years in the ocean. Most species are keepable but they require some things, like stability and high lighting. This looks like a decent article on them, it's very important to do research before you buy in this hobby, don't trust one source, especially not most lfs, they tend to give the worst advice IME.

http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemone-articles/begginers-guide-keeping-anemones/11.htm
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:10 am

Check out this article, some of these I learned, some dumb luck, but looks a little better this morning. This "bommie" sounds interesting, I wish I had a bigger tank. Is my anemone pulling up roots? Icon_smile

I especially like the paragraph about how to get your clowns to take to your Nem by placing a plastic clown near the Anemone to bait them nearer. I will check with the Dollar store for a plastic clown fish.

http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemones/recent-experiences-bubble-tip-anemones/22.htm
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:24 am

With the white stripes on it's disk are you sure this isn't a bleached bta? it's hard to tell if the color is a red or a fleshey brown high light on the tips if it's a flesh brown color I would steer towards a condi on this nem and as for like Goingpostal said Anemones Are not corals at all actually they are classified as a Invertabrate.
And most Anemones prefer stable conditions to have half a chance. one thing with an anenome it may look like it's doing great but An Anenome can give the signs of doing good because they can live for month's on feeding off the zooxanthellae that lives in it but if un fed or not enough light to keep the zooxanthellae surviving in it's host the Anemone will slowly Die.
I would say if your wanting a Anemone the best for a unstable tank ( year old or older) go with a rock anemone

Last edited by icereefer on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 am

Thank you all for the suggestions, very helpful all. Back to dumb luck only bad this time, my heater seemed flakey, it was fluctuating temp a bit. So I bought a new Marine Life from LFS and it has a "lifetime warranty, accurate within one degree", and my temp is 76.5 and seems to be dropped {wailing and gnashing of teeth!} [come ON heater!!!] "JUMP"

I know I know, that is the "stable tank" I was supposed to wait for. Okay, old heater reinstalled temp coming back up, now at 77.3 after an hour and a half. Whew!!!

Last edited by Nannook on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down