Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube

+4
Home_Depot
HSCmember
danreefs
GoingPostal
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Empty Bought a 24 gallon nanocube

Post by GoingPostal Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm

So upgrading the 12 gallon Aquapod to a 24 gallon, my stuff is just growing too big, too much in there to stay in a 12. I however hate cleaning out the back of those all in one tanks and sticking my hand into grossness constantly to clean out the pump so I ripped off the back chambers. There was a super gross big sponge on the back I probably touched while razor blading the silicone, Ewww! !

I only really used them for the pump which isn't enough flow anyways and to hide the heater so it's wasted space. I can deal with seeing the heater and am just putting a K2 on it for flow. As of now we are just leaving the 70watt halide over it, nothing super high light requiring in there but I may throw a double t5 strip on the back later if needed. Probably going to move my non photo stuff over since there will be room again which we get us back to only 2 tanks running.

Anyways that's my plan for Thursday is switching tanks since I'll have all day to rearrange rock, we all know what a fun job that is! Will post some pics after stuff settles down again.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Empty Re: Bought a 24 gallon nanocube

Post by GoingPostal Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Whew! Done! Got up , emptied the 12 gallon, put up the 24 gallon, put in the water I had ready, made up some more and started rearranging. With twice the space you would think I had room for everything easy right? No, typical, move rock, arrange some coral, realize that's not going to work, more some more rock. Repeat. Arrrggg.

But got it together, took a break and then got to cleaning out the now empty 12 and 5.5 gallon and scrubbing all the equipment, putting away all the buckets and tubs. I bought all of the rock with the tank but didn't want to shove the new tank full of rock this time around so my sump is stuffed with small nano to rubble sized pieces.

Now we definately need a fish, something totally reef safe, small and smart enough to stay out of a rhizo's mouth. I was thinking maybe a pair of green banded gobies,a hawkfish or a psuedochromis. Something with bright color anyways. Will post pics in a couple minutes of the new setup.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Ok, it's still really cloudy and I've already moved some more stuff since this, I switched the rhizo and the dendro around and put the candy canes by the acan lords. That's it, I swear I'm not touching it again

tonight anyways..

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 24gallonnov2009005
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Someone has the fishtank bug Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 452363
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Please point out the rhizo and dendro. I know nothing! Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 740522 Thanks!
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:19 pm

HSCmember wrote:Please point out the rhizo and dendro. I know nothing! Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 740522 Thanks!

Sorry rhizo is the white thing in lower right and dendro is the yellow coral.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:50 am

Very Nice Tiifany oh and James too...LOL
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:26 am

Nice! I saw a nice nano set up where they were attaching some zoas to the side glass, it opened a new venue to the whole lump in the middle approach. Looked like they used suction cups to attach. I have not gotten a chance to research.

I am a newbie with a 29 Biocube. I bought used from a couple in Minneapolis. I have had it set up a month and one of my ballasts has gone out. It will be under warranty, The World of Fish is Duluth is taking care of me better than I would have thought, but 3 days now with only Actinic.

Have you looked at the nanotuners website? Really cool stuff. I have ordered a light upgrade, that should resolve the ballast issue for good.

I will keep an eye out for your progress.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:17 am

looks good tiff!!

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 am

GoingPostal wrote: That's it, I swear I'm not touching it again tonight anyways..

LOL I hear ya!

Looks great! You are the LPS Queen. I'm not sure what that makes James.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 am

Nannook wrote:Nice! I saw a nice nano set up where they were attaching some zoas to the side glass, it opened a new venue to the whole lump in the middle approach. Looked like they used suction cups to attach. I have not gotten a chance to research.

Have you looked at the nanotuners website? Really cool stuff. I have ordered a light upgrade, that should resolve the ballast issue for good.

I know there is someplace that sells a magnetic frag rock that you can attach to wherever, I was planning to look around and see if I could find it again, zoas, xenia and green star polyps will all grow all the back or sides easy if you set them up against it or glue them to it. I will probably put a couple softies in there but I seem to have terrible luck with zoanthids. Palys do good though. Weird.

Nanotuners has some nice upgrades, I'm adopting a wait and see approach if this will still be enough light, if not I might go all t5's instead, I want to try something other than halides for a change.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:44 am

"magnetic frag rock"

ooooo I am trolling for that now, sounds perfect, I am envisioning frags like hanging baskets on the sides, like looking into an undersea lagoon.

Thank you Postal!
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by schaver Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:56 pm

salt water empire has them, i've got one in my nano right now and has been in there since the contest. but i cant remember how much it was, i know they had 2 diff. sizes, and i got the smaller one. i'm thinking it was around 12-16 dollars but not sure. and i do like it next time i'm down there (and with money) i'm gonna get myself 1 or 2 more for my main tank.
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Well as most will have gathered from the selling forum, my 16.5" Sunpod won't work, the legs won't stretch to 20", not a big deal I thought so I just ordered the hanging kit. Darn thing won't go short enough, the light would be in the tank! Darn it. And there's only good t5 fixture that short but the bulb selection sucks. So I figured I would just buy the 20" 150 watt Sunpod instead....except that they are recently discontinued and not for sale anywhere except for some place that wants $400. I've been browsing the for sale forums on every forum and hopefully just picked up a used one for $200. Comes with a new phoenix bulb too. Yay. We'll see how everything adjusts to double the light.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Well it's been a few days and everything looks great, I was a little worried about my non-photo lps because they'd been under next to no lighting before and they are picky about flow too but all has adjusted fine. My new light should be here within a week and then everything will have to adjust all over again, I'll have to dig out some eggcrate so nothing gets shocked . Not sure yet if I'm going to stick with the 14k phoenix that's in it or go for a 20K but I guess we'll see how it looks.

My acans seem happy with the extra room to spread now but still not quite enough, I might have to frag out a little of my red and rainbow ones. My "pink" chalice I bought at the last swap is completely blue but seems to be growing a little, I have a nice chalice garden going on with all of them together now and it looks really nice. I'll have to get some closeups taken.

My algea is dying off thank god, guess it was just the old bulb after all but I've got a couple of very stubborn aiptasia I can't seem to kill for anything. I might order a fish for it next week depending on the weather, I hate ordering in the cold but don't really want to wait until spring to add something either.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 780653
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Home_Depot wrote:Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 780653

Where did you think you are, the gallery? Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Lol

Here's your damn pics.

"chalice cove"
Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Lightandcorals005

chalice I got off mherper in the cities, very cheap and very pretty, plus my cyphastrea in the background
Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Lightandcorals013

Acans with a little room to breathe
Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Lightandcorals009

Then my batteries were dying so that's all I got. Except for living proof that pit bulls are indeed killers, this dog laid down right behind me in an effort to trip me when I turned around, almost succeeded too. Actually he's just a clingy wuss and has some crazy need to be as close as possible no matter what you are doing. Silly dog.
Bought a 24 gallon nanocube Lightandcorals014
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Thats a big dog fish Bought a 24 gallon nanocube 452363
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 am

Nice pictures, how does a person transport frags? Speaking of, I came to your fair city to work on a copier yesterday. Worked on a copier at the newspaper. Dreary day, but I enjoyed the drive.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Nannook wrote:Nice pictures, how does a person transport frags? Speaking of, I came to your fair city to work on a copier yesterday. Worked on a copier at the newspaper. Dreary day, but I enjoyed the drive.

Transport frags? Like shipping or how far? You can double or triple plastic bag them and put in a cooler, some people mail hardy stuff in thermos's, if we are just going a few hours I have little plastic baby food containers and the like. Most corals can live a couple days in clean water as long as the temp stays steady.

You should have let me know, you could have swung by, I was off all day! It was pretty cruddy out but hey, no snow yet so I'm happy.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:30 am

Algae: I have some hair algae, Halameda and Caulerpa (ident from google images) there is a product advertised Algae Fix, what would a good control be. I was given advise to pull and scrub with a toothbrush. The hair algae really holds on!

And I have Valonia? The red and green balls, (festive for the holidays NO?) I know it sounds like a personal problem, but advise would be appreciated. The tooth brush does not seem to remove or even dislodge, but my tank has never had healthier gums.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:57 am

nannock, no matter how hard you try to remove hair algae it will not work tell you remove phosphates from water that feed it. Caulerpa is not really the most desired algae in the trade due to the fact that it can go a-sexual i believe and it can spread threw the tank like rapid fire and it is hard to remove as well. Halameda is one of my favorites but it is a calcium hog and if you are not dosing two part it will consume your calcium.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:22 am

I have been in a battle with HA for about 6 months now and I am slowly winning just run some GFO and carbon and pluck what you can off. If you can take the rock out do it and get a wire brush and scrub it. Also maybe get a tang to help and it is hit or miss with a lawnmower blennie. Also could try a foxface they like HA too.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:43 am

You could also lighten up on feeding, shorten your photo period and perform regular water changes.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:56 am

I think GFO is the best thing you can do and good RODI water changes with zero tds. Yeah good question what is the lighting period and what about bulbs?

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next