Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass....

5 posters

Go down

Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass.... Empty Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass....

Post by GoingPostal Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 pm

So I was reading this on rc about nassarius attacking fish

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1558470&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

anyways there's a link in there about babylonian whelks being sold as tongan giant nass when they are in fact predatory whelks
(under NOT REEF SAFE) section in this link

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Hitchsnails.html

Looks an awful lot like those snails a bunch of our group bought.

I searched "orange spot nassarius" on google and only vendor I could find selling them or real mention of them was AquaCon, which is well known for being full of BS and ripping people off. So might want to take those snails out if you bought them because I can't find any proof they are truly nass. and they appear to be bad whelks instead. Glad I didn't buy any.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass.... Empty Re: Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass....

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:44 pm

I purchased nass & astrea snails twice this year already. At Ben's meeting and at the swap. I have hardly any astrea in my tank now for a month or so and am buying them again. Do you think the 2 of these orange spot nass that I also purchased could be the culprit? Anyone else had trouble with them? I haven't witnessed any foul play. I have, I think, two largish hermits but I didn't think they usually demolish the snail population quite so quickly. I'd like to rid my tank of whatever it is that's taking them out. I usually only have to restock snails maybe once a year it seems.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass.... Empty Re: Interesting read if you bought an orange spot nass....

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm

astrea snails do not live long. They can not right themselves when they fall and i have boughten hundreds of astrea and today very little survivors. Try some trochus turbos, or star snails, they can flip themselves back over so they are not lunch for hermits.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Too late. I'll try them next time though. Thanks!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:19 pm

LoL i flip my snails back over all the time. Razz

I do not like hermits thay bad litte guys.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:59 pm

All my astreas are dead too. I have no idea how those things survive in the wild. Darwin and evolution sure gave them the short end of the stick on that one.

I have a few turbos in my tank but I have been tempted to get rid of the big ones or put them in the fuge. They are making too many accidental frags since there is little room to move around now in my tank between corals in some places. The nerites, ceriths, and nassarious vibex snails seem to do better work anyway. www.reefcleaners.org usually has awesome prices on them and fairly cheap shipping too.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down