Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank - Questions

3 posters

Go down

New Tank - Questions Empty New Tank - Questions

Post by smiles Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 am

Ok so I want to move all of the livestock from an established (2 yrs+) 55G tank to my new 34G Red Sea tank. I will be moving all of the live rock as well.

Question: Do I need to wait for the new tank to cycle or should it be fine if I move everything over? Should I keep some of the water from the old tank and if so, how much? Like 50/50 with new saltwater? I would assume the majority of the good denitrifying bacteria would move over with the rock, and eliminate, or at least lessen the time needed to get the new tank going. Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
smiles
smiles
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Questions Empty Re: New Tank - Questions

Post by Swanwillow Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:07 pm

you don't need to cycle if you're using all the same rock, but I wouldn't transfer over any sand, sand gets nasty!

And I dunno about the water-when I upgraded, I used some old water, but not much
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 pm

I would use some water from your 55. I've done that with each tank move I've been involved with and it seems to help. If you add new sand to the 34g, you will likely end up with a small cycle. Ditto to what Swan said tho, don't add the old sand from the existing tank.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down