Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Questions...

5 posters

Go down

2 Questions... Empty 2 Questions...

Post by Coldwave21 Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm

[img]2 Questions... Getatt15[/img] So I have 2 questions.. The first is has anyone ever heard or seen as emerald crab be so close to a anemone? The moment the pink tip hit the water the emerald ran over to it and has not gone more than 5" or so away from it? I used to not see my emerald for days at a time and now he is always in plain sight which is cool but I just find it odd how he wont leave its side! AND the weirdest part is he will bring it food that I give to him, krill and what not...

Anyway question #2 Can you see all the particals floating in my tank? How do you get rid of these? It is cloudy all the time and I would love a crystal clear tank like everyone elses! I have a 20Gal sump where the down tube runs the water through live rock rubble into a refuge with cheato, protein skimmer that is getting goood dark thick skim, 550gph return and a 600gph koralia powerhead, fish include diamond goby, scooter blenny, 2 black clowns, 15 snails, 2 mexicans, 10 hermits... Its is 58 Gal that has been running about 2 months now... I know I guess I jumped the gun on the diamond and scooter and pink tipped as others have told me on here... Any ideas
Coldwave21
Coldwave21
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

2 Questions... Empty Re: 2 Questions...

Post by GoingPostal Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

No idea on the crab, maybe he thinks he is an anemone crab instead or using it as protection.

The particles... are they bubbles or just floating crap? Couple things you can try, if it's bubbles more rock or another baffle in the sump so they aren't making their way back to the display, adding a sponge will work as well but they need to be cleaned frequently so they don't become a nitrate trap or get clogged. Running some carbon might help too. I would look at adding more flow if it were me, is that koralia a #2? More flow would help detritrus get to the sump where it can be siphoned out.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldwave21 Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:31 pm

no it is not bubbles it is just stuff floating around... Yes it is a korlaia #2... it is a 58 gal that is 36" wide would I want more than one powerhead and the return line? Seems to have alot of movement already but I am willing to try whatever it takes to clear it up...
Coldwave21
Coldwave21
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

I would have at least two powerheads in there. If there's a place in your sump that will hold a sponge I would try one for a couple weeks, clean it out every 3rd day or something and see if it clears up.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm

lol I think your crab is in love.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Its not from the goby digging is it? I got one and see clouds of stuff floating in the area it is in, kind of a eye sore but keeps the sand clean. I would think the crab is using it for protection, that is my first thought.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldwave21 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I could see protection I guess... But from what? He is all alone other than the other friendly fish haha... And to bring his food to the pink tip? Seems really weird! haha... Like I said before it is very nice to have him out and in sight but weird with the pink tip... When we first put it in it moved every night tell it found its place and with each move the crab also moved and nustled right into it...
Coldwave21
Coldwave21
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Thats exactly what your Mythrax crab is doing, not only protection but it's a good food source for mythrax crabs most will usually reside under soft leathers and toadstood because micro algaes and dybris tend to grow and collect there.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:13 pm

icereefer wrote:Thats exactly what your Mythrax crab is doing, not only protection but it's a good food source for mythrax crabs most will usually reside under soft leathers and toadstood because micro algaes and dybris tend to grow and collect there.

You know i do fined mine under the frogspawn alot.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down