Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much light is to much?

4 posters

Go down

How much light is to much? Empty How much light is to much?

Post by honeybm23 Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 am

I have a friend taking down her 30 gallon tank she is willing to give me her lighting to use on my 20 gallon long, is this lighting going to kill everything or be totaly awesome?
I read some where that min is 4watt per gallon so this is way over.

HQI Aquarium Light MH 150W T5 HO

honeybm23
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

How much light is to much? Empty Re: How much light is to much?

Post by cdness Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 pm

You will be fine. Just hang it a bit higher off the water or add a screen between the light and the tank to reduce the light. Free is great!
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Watts per gallon doesn't matter, remember, your coral have no idea what size tank they are in, just how intense the light is and how far they are from it. I don't know what you have over your tank now but you'll want to screen it or something so your corals can adjust slowly, I have a 150 watt halide over my nanocube and upgraded from a 70 watt halide, most did fine, but some of the lower light things weren't happy. You can also lower or shade corals too.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybm23 Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 am

Thank you guys for the help. I don't have my person to talk to anymore he passed on a few years ago. So I'm kinda running on what I remember. And yes I will play the girl card. I forget alot of things thanks to my kids and the never ending can you drop, make, buy, why not, your mean, I hate you, I'm sorry, she did this/that, and the break my heart I love you. Busy life I lead. But I wouldn't have it anyother way. I just keep telling my self summer is almost over. Laughing

honeybm23
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 am

Summer is almost over!!! Don't say that. I haven't even had my boat running yet this year... grr
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am

I fun a full blow reef with a whopping 36 watts over a 25 gallon tank. LED's Very Happy

I have also done a 10 gallon with a 250 watt MH. My Long Tentacle anem grew to the size of a dinnerplate in that tank. So it truly depends on your tank, and how you take care of it.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down