Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wavemaker and dosing questions

+4
cdness
orange bam bams
icereefer
blennieluvr
8 posters

Go down

wavemaker and dosing questions Empty wavemaker and dosing questions

Post by blennieluvr Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Anyone ever use a wavemaker...like a 3/4" SCWD? I'm wondering if that is something I could add that would help me with flow w/out disturbing the sandbed too much.

My other question is, is there any reason I can't just put my 2 part daily doses in plastic containers with small holes in them every morning and just let them drip into the tank till gone? It seems it would be better than dumping 1/2 dose in the morning and 1/2 in the evening like I have been but w/out the cost of dosing pumps.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

wavemaker and dosing questions Empty Re: wavemaker and dosing questions

Post by icereefer Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 pm

I have used the SCWD's work and does a good job but you will have a 50/50 chance that they can seize up. I've used them on 4 of my tanks on my 40 breeder I replaced mine twice I was using a Mag 5.
to make this short I have over time bought 7 SCWD's to use one 4 different tanks.

As for the 2 part I use to do that way back when but I used a 2 liter pop bottle and I drilled a hole in the cap and glued a air fitting to it and used flexable air line and I just stuck a Valve on it and controlled my flow rate using the valve, plus you'll want to make sure you poke a hole on the bottom of the 2 liter bottle so you don't get a vaper lock while your dripping , just make sure the hole you make on the bottom of the bottle can be cocked so you can fill the bottle. wavemaker and dosing questions 452363
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Tunze pump on controller would be nice i did a wave box but i have plenty of realastate 4 it u have a smaller tank. I did mine DIY box with tunze 6100 and tunze single controller ! final price about $225 and i love how the corals and fish respond ! it was well worth it ! U could achieve same effect with nano tunze controlable pump and controller and no box ! I saw andre's and had to have one and wasnt gonna rest till i did ! wavemaker and dosing questions Lol
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 pm

We tried the valve thing with the jugs from BRS last weekend and the drip was too fast...couldn't slow it down enough with the needle valve thingys we got. I thought for now, I could just put my daily dose in something so it gets added to the tank more slowly. I'll have to put dosing pumps on the wish list though for sure.

Thanks for the wavemaker info. Sounds a bit easier to get into than the tunzes. I know tunzes are the way to go but they aren't in the budget for me at this point.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:16 am

"Thanks for the wavemaker info. Sounds a bit easier to get into than the
tunzes. I know tunzes are the way to go but they aren't in the budget
for me at this point."

I hear ya on the budget part ! I got mine used from reputable member on tcmas ! As i said I have $225 invested in wavebox when they sell on ebay for about 600 new so i guess im ahead of the game a little ! U wouldnt need a box or as big a pump u could get by for a fair amount cheaper but its just my 2 cents ya know ! I really enjoy mine so i guess i made a budget 4 it ! wavemaker and dosing questions Lol But good luck on which ever route u choose as there are plenty !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 am

Ok to you can just use air line to and tie knots in it to get the drip rate you want to I've done that and it works good and cheap to do too.
if you want if you remember Vishnu's post when he was selling his Tunze and controller. I still have this if you want to try it I'll never use it and your more then welcome to it.
I will also include DIY wavemaker controller for the Tunze. This controller is complete and is working but its a breadboard version. I will also include PCB and extra parts to finish it (just needs soldering). I built this based on Tunze wavemaker thread on DIY forum on RC.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:55 pm

The SCWDs are too restrictive... if you wanted to go that route, go with an Ocean Motion 2 or 4 way.

A pulsing powerhead may be a better option though if you are looking for waves.

One thing I found with the bottles is you need to have TWO holes. both can be in the cap. One is an air line fuly open all the way to the base of the jug of choice. The other is flush with the cap on the inside with the plastic needle valve fitting on the end to control the drip. The two hole system lets air in the one pipe allowing better control of drip rate in the other one with the needle valve. I used a small pint jug from Walmart and mixed my 2-part with some RODI to dilute it a bit. Then the hardest part was making a hanger to keep it upside down so the drip would work (duct tape is a savior).

Let me know if you want to see pics (I'll have to find the bottle)
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I have IV supplies Cammie if u need some. Than u can use a choke instead of unreliable knots.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Mn. reef crzy wrote:I have IV supplies Cammie if u need some. Than u can use a choke instead of unreliable knots.
Thats what i have just sitting.Think its time to do a DIY for my cal lol.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Mn. reef crzy wrote:I have IV supplies Cammie if u need some. Than u can use a choke instead of unreliable knots.

It's worth checking out. I'm not sure what you mean by a choke but, I'm game to try something. I'm really tired of dosing morning and night.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:24 pm

icereefer wrote:
if you want if you remember Vishnu's post when he was selling his Tunze and controller. I still have this if you want to try it I'll never use it and your more then welcome to it.
I will also include DIY wavemaker controller for the Tunze. This controller is complete and is working but its a breadboard version. I will also include PCB and extra parts to finish it (just needs soldering). I built this based on Tunze wavemaker thread on DIY forum on RC.

Yeah, Jim. That sounds like something I should do. I tried to find the original thread and couldn't locate it but maybe pm me the details. Thanks!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Did u ever get anything figured out just wondering what u decided ? wavemaker and dosing questions Icon_biggrin
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:54 am

I'm going to dose the way I described (putting daily dose in a pop bottle to drip until gone) until I get to Rapids to see what the iv supplies and choke are.

As for wavemaker etc, I think I'm going to just try to add more flow. I'll probably get the tunze Jim has.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 am

I have an IV drip thing to Cammie if you want it... well I think I still have it. I also might be willing to sell my dosing pump.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 am

Cammie I have a wavemaster pro to get rid of 2 if u would like to go that route ! How big is your tank ? Are u going to use tunze as a wavebox ? cause if not they push a Lotta water without my box i can get a sandstorm on lowest setting in a 200gal they are crazy powerful LOL! I think the 6100 on high pushes like 3400 gph or something !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Cammie what did you do about the dosing DIY ?
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 am

I have an SCWD, new in the box if you want to trade some life, or frag, I would be glad to. I want to try to put in the wave controller in my new tank.

So dosing bottle. I tried once and failed because I could not figure out how to control the flow. This is what I did: I got an orange juice bottle, they come in several sizes, wrapped aluminum wire around it to hold it to the bulk head and voila. But it would not drip. I knew why, but not how to resolve, now I see two holes in the cap with two valves to control in with a tube to the bottom to let IN air, and a tube out for dosing. I will try again and post the results and a picture whether or not I am successful. I got an IV and a choke, but I could not figure out a bottle in place of the IV bag.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for the info Nick. I haven't been to Rapids and was thinking of trying the IV tubing and choke Andre has but so far, I'm still just manually dosing 1/2 a.m and have p.m. Might take you up on the SCWD.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 am

Home_Depot wrote:I have an IV drip thing to Cammie if you want it... well I think I still have it. I also might be willing to sell my dosing pump.

pm me the details if you decide to part with it
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down