Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cloudy tank

4 posters

Go down

cloudy tank Empty cloudy tank

Post by nano Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 pm

My tank seems to be a little cloudy. Not greenish just foggy looking. Has anybody had this and any sugestions. Thanks

nano
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 111

Back to top Go down

cloudy tank Empty Re: cloudy tank

Post by GoingPostal Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Sand get stirred up at all? You can try running some fresh carbon and filter floss for a couple days.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:16 pm

How long has your tank been set up? There seemed to be several phases. A rust phase where a rusty algae would grow in hours on everything. That only lasted a week. Anyway, there are very predictable phases during the first couple of months, predictable and good. They help to establish good bacteria and reestablish your live rock and sand. Has your tank "cycled" yet?
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 pm

my Tank is going on six weeks old. It was a established tank when moved it home. Had some die off on the live rock from the move. I belive that it is cycled. I did a 1/3 water change and that has seemed to help some let it work its self out for couple days if not i will investigate some more thanks everyone

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Could be a bacterial bloom as well.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:44 pm

as of rite now all levels are good so i will be keeping a very clos e eye on it. its been upm for six weeks im almost comfortable with putting in my coral. Does anybody have any advise as far as do i load up tank or go peice by peice

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 pm

nano wrote:as of rite now all levels are good so i will be keeping a very clos e eye on it. its been upm for six weeks im almost comfortable with putting in my coral. Does anybody have any advise as far as do i load up tank or go peice by peice

Take it slow.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks thats what i had thought. Ive talked to some people and they told me just put it all in. That goes aginst everything ive read and learned. should i start with the bottom coarls first and work my way up and im not running a skimmer rite now do i need one its a 16 gal tank

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:01 pm

What kind of light are you running? You are probably safe to try some mushrooms, zoas, xenia first than if they do well add a candy cane or frogspawn, easy to keep lps. Unless you are keeping sps you will be fine with no skimmer, just keep up with water changes, don't overload the tank with fish unless you really like water changes.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 pm

I will be running a t5x2. Im ok with water changes only 5 gals at a time lol. I do them every 2 weeks. and change filters the opp. 2 weeks. Only guna have few fish.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:26 am

Start with something cheap. My first inhabitants died. What is your salinity at? Temp? Do you have your lights on timers? What are your on/off times? May pertain to the bloom Mary (I think) spoke of.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 am

Lights are on a timer 9am to 8pm my salinity is at 30 im guna try a carbon sock that goes in the filter see if that might help cause its still cloudy. Just did a Water change added hermit green, couple bumble bee snails and acouple other crabs showed up in the bag its nice knowing the ower of a local pet store lol

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

ive just added a chem pure sock hopfully that will clear things up a bit. Has anybody used this it turned my water dark should clear up right

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I have never used Chem Pure before. I had a yellow cast to mine and put in a carbon box in my sump, cleared right up. I love simplicity. Rare though.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:18 pm

have t note that chemi pure 4 hrs ago and my tank is lost clearer see what it does over time lol i will keep u all posted as far of what i think of product

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:31 pm

not to self rinnse off psck first will make tank black lol. oops rookie mistake. is it safe to do another water change 2 days in a row. scared thet i will not have the bacteria i need

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:28 pm

just added another filter with strait floss see how that does in clearing up my tank. Hopfully it works cause i dont know what else to try.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:48 pm

nano wrote:just added another filter with strait floss see how that does in clearing up my tank. Hopfully it works cause i dont know what else to try.
Its been an hour and my tank is clearing up. But now that ive been watching the dimond goby do his thing its all his fault. He is just sifting away raising the sand cloud lol. so im guna take out filter and be thankful that hes dong his job. Thank you for all you ideas

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down