Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank fun lately

5 posters

Go down

Tank fun lately Empty Tank fun lately

Post by GoingPostal Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:19 pm

So early december my powerhead went out in my 12 gallon tank, this is followed by my metal halide dying in my 24 gallon, noticed it seemed bluer the week previous and got the point where it just shut off as soon as the bulb lit up completely. Ballast? Don't know but I didn't pay much for the light and didn't really want to put more into it. We planned to just hang the panaroma fixture over it, it's been lighting my freshwater tank until now. Hanging won't work. Moving the tank not an option. So instead we ripped apart both fixtures and slapped the modules onto the sunpod. I bought a blue/purple modules to go with the blue/whites we had so it wasn't so white, couldn't fit the one blue/white on there but oh well. Now last night I realize one of my freshwater tanks heaters is way too warm and the other is dead. Time to buy more fish stuff again...

Things have finally stopped dying off in the tank which is good but still pretty cautious about keeping an eye on it, need to restock some items but not really sure about the led lights or how they will do yet. Tank looks empty.

Ghetto panaroma setup lol
Tank fun lately IMG_1453
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Tank fun lately Empty Re: Tank fun lately

Post by blennieluvr Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

That thing could win a ghetto award if I knew anywhere that had such a thing! LOL

Sorry about the troubles and I hope things turn around for ya soon!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 am

Hey Cami have you tried room temp tanks? I have had so many heater problems. So my Bio cube I just unplugged the heater. Thermometer shows 68 degrees, (we keep our home cool) The clowns, anemone, goby, 6 line are all well and thriving. Many oceans, heck even the gulf of Mexico get to 60 in the winter. So far so chilly good. (Been a year now since I unplugged) It got mid 70's last summer.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Been there done that. I just lost two of the multilight led big bulbs, the ones that run $120. Stands just tipped over and sploosh!. Fortunately I was home and managed to leap up and jerk them out. I've lost so much stuff and livestock to operator error and such.
Great looking light, maybe we can have you teach us how to "rig" lights.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Nick, I've not done a room temp tank. I think our temperature would swing too much for that.

Goingpostal, how are things going now? How is your diy light working for ya?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Hope that light does good for you!
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Light is doing ok, one went out for a bit but bad wiring on James' part so it's back up and running. The change in spectrum seems to have caused some lovely algae issues though and I would like it to be a bit more blue. Not sure how to fit another strip on there though. Jodi I know you had stunners, do they show up well along the stronger ones? Debating if I should invest in a more expensive strip or the stunners, I don't know if more light is needed really but would like more blue tint.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm

The stunners, honestly... sucked. They didn't add any actual light
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Ok well that's what I needed to know lol, don't want to waste my money. I bought the 3 cord adapter so I can potentially add 2 more if I can figure out how to place them on it.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Yeah. They were great for sunup/sun down, but they just didn't give off enough light to effect the visual colors. Although they helped a little bit, just not nearly enough
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down