Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t5 retro buid question

5 posters

Go down

t5 retro buid question Empty t5 retro buid question

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:30 am

Does anyone know of a good site for researching options for housing for the T5's w/individual reflectors? I thought we'd just build a canopy. It sure would like nice and hide all the stuff on the top of our tank. However, I don't really want to seal in the tank and I need to be ableto scrape the back, etc. since my tank is kind of viewable from all sides. I thought of hanging a canopy or building a fixture to hang above the tank (either from the ceiling or on brackets) but have not found many build threads like that to decide if it's really what I want.

All I need is reflectors and I'll be ready to start the build. As long as I'm sure about what I want to do.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

t5 retro buid question Empty Re: t5 retro buid question

Post by icereefer Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:40 am

Just try doing the right word configuration game on Google theres many great Ideas out there, as you know I'm doing a sealed type canopy on my 75 gal but if you notice I will have most of my canopy front end hinged for feeding and glass cleaning purposes.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Yeah. I'm going to watch your build too & figured I'd point it out here as I'm sure some will be interestd in watching it's progress. Maybe I'll end up doing something like that but I have a feeling, it won't end up being a canopy. I just haven't settled on the look I'd want for something hanging.

I've tried different word configs. I'll keep trying.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Are you wanting to make a canopy or a pendant? Canopies sit on the top and Pendants hangs over the top of the Aquarium.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

That's what I'm trying to decide! t5 retro buid question Icon_biggrin At first I thought canopy and may still do that if I can find one that allows me to all sides of my tank. I think Jason would rather build a pendant. (Is it still called pendant if you're using long T5 bulbs?) He likes the cleaner look. Also, we're not adding weight to the tank that sits kind of in the middle of our living room. Also, lessens the concern of heating up the tnk. He wants to design something that I could raise to work in the tank and lower when I'm done. Before I decide for sure, I'd like to see more examples of what other people have done. I can find a lot of info on DIY canopies but not so much for other options.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

t5 retro buid question Empty Tank hood

Post by Bigdragons Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Just built one for my 75g and like how it turned out t5 retro buid question Icon_biggrin

[img]http://www.frozenocean.org/t5 retro buid question User1810[/img][img]http://www.frozenocean.org/t5 retro buid question 11100914[/img][img]http://www.frozenocean.org/general-reef-discussion-f3/t5 retro buid question 11100913[/img]
Bigdragons
Bigdragons
Plankton
Plankton

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

I can see why Nice work bigdragons.

Cammie
okay Sounds like for a canopy you pretty much Know what you want between you Jason and garret's construction skills you should be able to come up with a finished product Very Happy thats why it's called DIY. lol!

Some things U might want to keep in mind when your doing your own Canopy or Pendant.

with a Canopy most are closed so you need to remove trapped heat that's produced by your lighting and if your running T5's you want them to run cooler then your MH's, flourescents will have a longer life span if they can run cooler but in the same sense if you cool your MH's down to much they will not perform at there top peak.
most that use a canopy because a canopy does not have radiating light coming from them. where with a pendant you'll want to keep in mind most furniture when your sitting on it your head is about mid tank so in some places of your living room while sitting on your furniture you could wide up with lights in your eyes or light glare on your TV. and if you run your pendant to close to the water to reduce glare you can wide up with heat issues in your water column. scratch
Just some food for thought.
Jim
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigdragons Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks..Smile I'm sure it would work for t5's to:)
Bigdragons
Bigdragons
Plankton
Plankton

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Maybe there is a way that a canopy could be designed that would allow it to be opened from the front and back?
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Opening on both sides does seem like it may be the best answer.

Jim, thanks for pointing out the light it will add to the room. I hadn't considered that at all!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread. We're leaning toward building a canopy now thanks to all your input. (Had a couple other things come up since starting this thread and it got put on hold.) We have collected everything but reflectors and possibly another ballast for the actinics (so they don't have to run the same time as the other bulbs). This is what brings me to post again. We should be able to just get an advance/universal ballast to run the actinics on, shouldn't we? If not, Jason thought of building the canopy with our current fixture in it and adding a couple overdriven bulbs. I'd personally, rather not do that. We really enjoy when just the actinics are on though. Also, if we get the universal ballast, the actinic bulbs shoud last longer, shouldn't they?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:35 pm

I am actually in the process of building a pendant that hangs inside my canopy... It is built with 1.5" L angle aluminum for the frame. It's bolted and riveted together. I still have to wire the system up and install the cooling system. Mainly I wanted the ability to adjust the height inside the canopy to allow flexibility of the lighting and allow my hands to get in when needed. I can upload pics if you want to see it.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down