Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leather has a small crack in the stalk.....

3 posters

Go down

Leather has a small crack in the stalk..... Empty Leather has a small crack in the stalk.....

Post by Nannook Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:41 pm

I purchased a leather from LFS a week ago, this a.m. I noticed a small crack 1/4 inch or so across the stalk, and it looks like it is discoloring. Is this bad? Is it infected. Am I hosed? Leather has a small crack in the stalk..... Icon_sad
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Leather has a small crack in the stalk..... Empty Re: Leather has a small crack in the stalk.....

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Can you get a picture of it? Do you know what kind of leather it is? Most of the time with leathers they are very hardy and you can either chop off the dying part or frag the rest of the coral around it. Is it still extending polyps and looking happy or slumped over? If it gets worse I would frag it, just get a sharp knife and do it outside the tank as leathers exude toxins when stressed.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Leather has a small crack in the stalk..... Empty Re: Leather has a small crack in the stalk.....

Post by Nannook Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I will try for a picture, but I don't know if I can get the detail. It is a crack in the side of the stalk. I don't know how I would frag it. I was wondering about a iodine injection into the wound. I am working now, but I will try for a picture when I get home.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm

I don't know that I would inject it with iodine, that would probably kill it but you could do an iodine dip and I've heard of people "painting" coral wounds with iodine, not sure of success levels of that though. Is it turning black?
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 pm

The wound looks like it is turning black and pulling apart like a smile. That was this morning. And it has been opening fine but this morning it was not waking up so I started looking at it closely and noticed the stalk.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Here is the picture of the cut in the stalk, look towards the base, side to side cut.

Leather has a small crack in the stalk..... DSCN0305
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Hmm...Do you have a baster by chance? I would squirt some water at it and see if the flesh is falling off. It doesn't look too bad but can't imagine that's a good sign either.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 am

Update, turkey baster seems to have helped, I "irrigated" him and the dark area got lighter same color as the stalk. Yesterday he opened an perked up. Over night still looking perkier. Thank you Garrett.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 am

Another thing you can try and I use this produce on all and any of my New corals I'm adding to my tank. dip it in ReVive Coral cleaner by two little fishes, it cleans and medicates your corals and kills lots of unwanted parasites, it's a produce made by Julian Sprung and works great.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down