Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my sealant safe?

2 posters

:: Reef Discussion :: DIY

Go down

Is my sealant safe? Empty Is my sealant safe?

Post by bmlbytes Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 am

I made a protein skimmer for my aquarium, but have yet to put it to use. When I sealed it, I used 100% silicone. I thought that was supposed to be safe for fish. Just recently I learned that some tubes of silicone have an anti mildew chemical in them that may harm fish, even if they are labeled as 100% silicone. After doing some research, I find that both GE-I and GE-II are safe for aquariums as long as they don't have the anti-mildew. Here lies the problem. I did not buy GE brand sealant, I bought ACE Hardware brand sealant. I have no idea weather or not it has the anti-mildew. It says it is architechtural grade sealant. Does anyone know what ingredient would be the anti-mildew?

The ingredients listed are:
Silica (68855-54-9), Ethyl Triacetoxysilane as Acetic Acid (64-19-7), Silicone Fluid (mixture), Dibutyltin Dilurate (77-58-7)

Anyone know if any of these chemicals are harmful to fish?

Also, in my research I have read a lot of people say don't use the anti-mildew, but not one report of it actually harming their fish. Has anyone heard of it actually harming fish?

Right now I am trying to think of a way to cut open my skimmer to remove the potentially unsafe silicone if I have to.
bmlbytes
bmlbytes
Peppermint Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp

Number of posts : 35

http://VirusStompers.com

Back to top Go down

Is my sealant safe? Empty Re: Is my sealant safe?

Post by icereefer Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 am

Okay this is true some silicones have a Anti-mildew chemical in there silicone the only one that uses a anti-mildew chemical in it would be your Bathroom and Kitchen silicone.they usually don't add the Anti-mildew chemical to your ext caulk, I've use Aces silicone before just make sure it's not for kitchen or bathroom use.
here's a few safe silicones from Ace.

Is my sealant safe? 10064

Is my sealant safe? 10033_012809i_au

Is my sealant safe? 1012228h

You just need to make sure it's not Kitchen and Bath.
One more Question did you use this silicone to seal Acrylic or Glass? over time the bond you make with joining 2 acrylic pieces together will loose it's bond. you can usually get away with siliconing acrylic in a glass Aquarium used as sump walls but to use as a load bareing wall sealant??? real iffy
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bmlbytes Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:38 pm

I used it in my protein skimmer that I built. I made the skimmer out of PVC. The sealant says it should work with plastic, and I read that GE-II works ok with PVC.

Also the brand is ACE, I didnt just buy it from ACE. It is in a red tube and says Architectural Grade Sealant. I don't know if that is the same as Windows and Door, or if that is like bathroom stuff.
bmlbytes
bmlbytes
Peppermint Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp

Number of posts : 35

http://VirusStompers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down