Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reef safe angels

4 posters

Go down

Reef safe angels Empty Reef safe angels

Post by GoodToGo Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:25 pm

I added a Japanese Swallowtail angel (Genicanthus melanospilos) to the 75 last week.  The Genicanthus angels are large angels that are reef safe, unlike the rest of the angels. It's a nice looking yellow and blue fish that is always in the open and on the move. I tried getting a picture but it never stops moving. Here's one off the web...

Reef safe angels Angel_zps72ad5fb0

I guess I did get one picture, here it is along with the Solon Wrasse

Reef safe angels Angelwrasse_zps174aee17

GoodToGo
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Reef safe angels Empty Re: Reef safe angels

Post by HSCmember Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:10 am

Is your new angel actually reef safe? I see our little Coral Beauty picking away once in a while at something, but in such a big tank I don't see anything I could blame definitely on this fish.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodToGo Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm

The Genicanthus angels are 100% reef safe, they are zooplanktivores. The Coral Beauty's are not related to them.

Unfortunately the angel I had got some kind of swim bladder issue and died. It was a spendy fish, and as much as I liked it it probably won't be replaced.

GoodToGo
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Is this what you were seeing?

An Interesting Feeding Trait:

This fish will gulp food from the water's surface, which makes it swallow air at the same time. It is not unusual for the fish to become bloated, resulting in the fish appearing to be struggling while swimming head down, but don't worry. The fish gets rid of this trapped air by expelling bubbles from its mouth and anus. In other words it burps and farts, which is funny to watch as the Hippo Tang in our aquarium shadows the angel, trying to eat the bubbles thinking its food.

Guides Care Rating:

Our recommended care rating for this angelfish - intermediate level for healthy specimens that are already eating well, but require experienced level if stressed and not yet adapted to aquarium life.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. I always feel bad when I lose a fish. There is a very interesting article about swim bladder problems with sea horses. In short the author put them in a pop bottle and increase pressure on them like a parabolic chamber. It worked for him. It is worth researching. Now when my koi and goldfish start floating upside down I have always treated them by force feeding them some bread dipped in mineral oil or olive oil. It cleans out their digestive tract and seems to always expell the extra air as well. Works for me.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear. I hate losing expensive and even more importantly, super nice fish or other critters.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down