Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help my friends with lighting

2 posters

Go down

help my friends with lighting Empty help my friends with lighting

Post by blennieluvr Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:07 pm

My daughter has some friends with a saltwater tank. It's basically FOWLR. I have given them a few frags and they bought a few from me at the swap. The frags aren't doing anything. I can't remember for sure what type of lights they have but, they can't be good. I told them I'd look around for some lights but I don't think they have a lot of cash to put into their tank right now. It totally bugs me that they have no idea how nice it could look with better lights. I don't think they use RODI either, but seriously, it doesn't look bad right now...very little algae. Maybe with better lights, they'll get some algae growth? I don't know. Anywho...I'm terrible with equipment. What's the cheapest way they can upgrade their lights. I know Vishnu DIY'd halides for $40. I have that info. Is that the cheapest fix for them? They have a standard 75 like ours. I have some T5 bulbs I'd give them if the Science Center doesn't end up needing them. I used them about a year so they'd have maybe 6 months left on them. I keep seeing pc's that I think they could afford but I know how that goes and don't want them to have to upgrade again in a few months..maybe they aren't even any better than what they have. Any tips you can give would be great.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

help my friends with lighting Empty Re: help my friends with lighting

Post by tinkerman Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 am

They could do odno fl. A 75 would be good as electronic ballasts aren't expensive for 4 ft bulbs. Or these guys have retro pc's with really good reflectors. http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
A odno 40w bulb would be 70w for a double ballast or 122w for a tripple. If you need more info let me know I have done this a couple times.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check into that for them. Not sure what odno is but I'm sure it will make more sense when I check out that link later.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Odno is Overdriven normal output flourecnts. All it is is a t8 or t12 that for example you would use a double fl ballast to drive 1 bulb so you get 1.75x the light out of your 32 or 40w bulb, you can overdrive to 4x for a quad ballast just make sure it is an electronic ballast.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down