Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump problems

2 posters

Go down

Pump problems Empty Pump problems

Post by Nannook Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 pm

I am having trouble with the pumps. I have an submersible 4000 Lifegard QuietOne, and it has been unreliable starting from nearly day one, once I poke it with a wire to push the impeller it takes off and runs well.
And I have a fractioning submersible driving my skimmer. The impeller is disinigrating and the impeller costs half the price of a new pump and they are out of stock. Trolling the internet I seem to find nothing that seems reliable and economical. Do I just bite the bullet and try for better? I could do an external for main pump but he skimmer pump has me stumped. What do you all do?
Help me Obi-Wan
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Pump problems Empty Re: Pump problems

Post by cdness Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:16 pm

I have a sicce submersible for my skimmer. Many say it is bad but I just blow into the air tube and it starts right up.

You could look into a bubble blaster or askoll pump. I hear they are really good. Or go Red Giant if you want the best, but they are a small fortune.

Is your skimmer mesh or needle wheel? Needles tend to run better than mesh, but I use the mesh for the better performance.

For a return pump, I run a Marineland 4500. It has started perfect every time I start it up. I have had issues with catalinas not starting but the marineland one is good. It has a 3 year warranty on it too so all issues are covered. I hear mag pumps are good too just haven't used one.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I was looking at the Sicce and looked at some of the feedback. For 20 bucks more I ordered the tunze hydrofoamer. Tunze has a good reputation. We will see. And I will check into the Marineland pump. I keep thinking I should bite the bullet and go with external Dart. But then I see prices and chicken out. Oh, and it is a needle wheel. Sedona 3500, it was cheap at the time and has worked well till lately.

Last edited by Nannook on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to answer a question)
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down