Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clean hands

+5
blennieluvr
Nannook
GoingPostal
Home_Depot
schaver
9 posters

Go down

clean hands Empty clean hands

Post by schaver Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am

I've been reading alot about people having problems with there tanks after washing dishes or doing other cleaning projects. i am woundering how do you know if your hands are clean enough ( I know gloves are the best) is it just best to keep rincing them for a few minutes or is there a better way. know gloves, but you cant feel anything with gloves on
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

clean hands Empty Re: clean hands

Post by Home_Depot Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:11 am

No glove no love!!!!! lol!

I just rince my hands if I put them in there but most of the time I use the gloves
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 am

My hands are probably always covered in lotion, I try to remember to rinse but have gotten progressively lazier about it as the years go by. I almost never wear my gloves. Too hard to do anything. When I do wash them I use soap if they are grimy or lotion-ey, if they are already pretty clean just a quick rinse.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 am

I have been wondering the same thing. I try to rinse rinse rinse, but I am still concerned. I have seen long gloves for sale at WOF for like 49 bucks and I am like "whoa".
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

I hate the gloves. Can't they make a long glove that's snug to your hand so you can work? For me, It seems usually when I'm sticking my hands in, I found something I need to fix RIGHT NOW and don't rinse. I often have lotion on too. clean hands Icon_redface I need to remember to rinse first. It seems reasonable that it could be causing problems. I hate the gloves so much, I'm willing to risk abuse from our clown by not wearing them. Can't feel anything with the blasted gloves on and often do more harm than good knocking stuff over and whatnot.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by brad Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm

No gloves here

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm

no gloves for me
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Have gloves, hardly ever use them. Wash and rinse well and dry. May be just the brand soap they use. I have read that dish soap leaves the least amount of residue.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:19 am

I usually scrub my nails with a small bristle brush and wash my hand in vinegar water before someone comes over for frags or any time I do fine work in my tank if I'm moving rock or big corals I use Gloves. another thing that works and use to use before I ran out and to cheap to buy it is spray on bandage U just sprayed it on my finger tips to help seal my finger nails, you'd be surprized whats stuck under your finger nails, For example say your a mechanic or a finish carpenter over time it would be like having a tanker ship slipping oil in your ocean and varnish under the Nails would be like a factory spilling toxins in your ocean. and you here some of these war stories on I DON'T NO WHY MY TANK CRASHED.........Do the Math. Same with not keeping up with your clean up crew there called that for a reason...LOL if your parameters are all in check and you have your nutrients under control and a strong clean up crew you should never have a problem, I have seen many,many hobbyist first starting out and that have been in it for awhile and setting up a new tank and I look and theres 4 or 5 fish in there tank and you see maybe 3 hermits, a few snail and Can't understand why they can't control there hair algae.
Like in my tank when my lights are off you can see small clouds of cope pod, Nass snails crusing over the sand,spaghette worms out catching stuff out of the water column, I use conchs,mini brittle Star fish Mysis shrimp christmas tree wrasse and 100eds of one cell organisms that live in my sand bed and theres days I can count over a hundered astrea,nirite and some Olives too all over my Rock and Glass.
and with a 3 1/2" + sand bed your crew should be ever bigger,
you have to remember fish don't have septic systems....LOL your clean up crew is your septic system, just like some peoples fear of bristle worms,best dam Janior one can have in ones tank.

Last edited by icereefer on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cant spell when I'm Tired...LOL)
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 am

Amen brother....LOL
Home_Depot
Home_Depot