Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube....

3 posters

:: Reef Discussion :: DIY

Go down

How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... Empty How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube....

Post by Nannook Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 am

Problem is when you install a protein skimmer in compartment 1 of your 29g Biocube you must remove the carbon filter. I realized the filter cartridge was nearly the same size as the flow tray above the bio balls in the second compartment.
How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... DSCN0236
Get 3M plastic clips from Menards, Walmart etc. They come 4 to a pack with double sided tape strips. Invert the flow diverter tray and clean surface with alcohol for a good adhesion.
How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... DSCN0235
Make sure you put the clips on the back and left side of the diverter tray as there is a ridge designed to hold this tray on the opposite sides. (There won't be room for both the clips and the ridge will interfere with installation)
How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... DSCN0237
Square off the end of the filter cartridge so that there is not the grip end, (ensure all 4 sides of the filter cartridge are the same) If you get the adhesive on wrong, you can pull the tape and start over, or you can purchase replacement double sided tape strips.
Purchase and install a plastic handle from the drawer pull selection at Home Depot or Menards, this will allow for easy install and removal for cleaning and replacement of cartridge. The water will cascade over the flow tray and through the filter medium.
How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... DSCN0287
Happy filtering!
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... Empty Re: How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube....

Post by brad Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:37 pm

I have a sapphire skimmer in my cube. It goes in the 2nd chamber in place of the nitrate harboring bio balls. I keep the filter in the first chamber and it works great.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube.... Empty Re: How to have a protein skimmer AND a carbon filter on 29 Biocube....

Post by GoingPostal Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Being handy really can help in this hobby! I like the handle so it's easy to get in and out.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down