Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nano Reef Contest 2009

2 posters

Go down

Nano Reef Contest 2009 Empty Nano Reef Contest 2009

Post by moonyguy Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:11 pm

cheers Welcome to the 2009 Nano Reef Build Contest!  cheers

This contest officially begins on January 1st, 2009 and ends May 30th, 2009. All nano reefs must be entered by January 15th, 2009 to qualify. At the end of the contest, all eligible systems will be judged by the a special panel of judges for growth and development, and prizes awarded to the top three nano reefs.

Please note that this contest will require you to have a digital camera, or access to a digital camera at least once per month. You will not be able to participate without one.

JUDGES

Marc Levenson (melev), Editor Reefkeeping Magazine

My real name is Marc Levenson, but online I'm known to most as melev. I've been in the hobby for 12 years.  I run a website called http://www.melevsreef.com that is designed to help hobbyists everywhere. My site started off as a single page many years ago talking about my 29g, but the page grew longer and longer. It was like a never-ending blog, until one day I started Page Two about a new project for my tank - a sump. Over time, the site grew to include additional  topics of interest such as acrylic work, photography, critter identification, solutions to a variety of pests, information about my tanks, lighting, feeding, and more. There is always something new being added as time permits. Now entire sections are themed so that you can stay in a particular train of thought. I've begun the task of translating some popular pages into other languages to reach more individuals globally.
After being online for years, I became part owner of a reef-related podcast.  http://www.reefcast.com , which now has 30 different episodes available for download. Most of them are audio downloads in mp3 format but there are a few vidcasts mixed in as well. We keep it casual, fun, and still cover a variety of topics to help others be successful reef keepers.I've been a fan of MACNA since 2002, been on the BOD for MASNA.org for a year, and on the BOD for DFWMAS for over four years. I was the club president of DFWMAS for three of those years, working to keep the membership growing and provide interesting content both online and at our monthly meetings. I’ve written a few magazine articles both online and in print, and was a contributing author to an e-book called Reefkeeping Basics.  For the past two years, I've spoken to a number of clubs across the nation. In my spare time, I'm the editor of Reefkeeping Magazine, too.  And between all of that, I care for a 280g reef that is my pride and joy.

Dr Sanjay Joshi, (Lighting Guru), Professor, Penn State University

Sanjay Joshi is a professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Penn State University, where he also co-manages their 500-gallon reef aquarium. He has been a reef addict since 1992, and currently keeps three reefs at home: a 55-gallon, 60-gallon and a 180-gallon SPS dominated reef. He has published widely in magazines and online, including Marine Fish and Reef Annual, Aquarium Frontiers, Aquarium Fish, Advanced Aquarist, and Reefkeeping. In addition, he is a regular featured speaker at marine aquarium society meetings nationwide. Dr Joshi has personally donated a metal halide bulb as one of our prizes for the winners of this build off contest. Thank you Dr Joshi.

Christopher Marks, Adminstrator, Nano-reef.com

Christopher Marks is the creator of the famous website Nano-reef.com. The site has over 20,000 active members and were one of the first to have a nano reef build off contest. Chris has kindly agreed to let us use the rules from two sucessful build offs on his website.

THE RULES

THE TANK

A 10 gallon glass aquarium. The dimensions of a standard 10 gallon tank are 20"Lx10"Wx12"H.  The most common tanks people are going to find are All-Glass and Perfecto brand, and can be purchased at any Walmart, Petco, Petsmart, or local LFS for approximately $10. If you choose to use an acrylic tank, the dimensions must be close to 20"Lx10"Wx12"H. You are welcome to paint the back of your tank black or blue, but it is not required.

THE LIGHTING

The maximum amount lighting will be 100 watts, you can use any type of light (PC, T-5, Metal Halides). You can buy a commerial fixture or use a retro kit. It is not necessary to build a hood. Night time use of moon lights is allowed, but not required.

POWERHEADS AND HANG ON BACK FILTERS

Participants in the contest will be allowed to use up to two powerheads, or one powerhead and one hang on back filter. The total flow rate for the tank must not exceed 400 gallons per hour. This restriction allows for a broad range of powerheads and HOB filters. See manufacturers specs for your particular model to see if it is allowed or not. You may not modify a higher flow HOB or PH to create a flow that is within an acceptable range.

HEATERS

Any aquarium heater may be used. Choose one appropriate for the environment your nano reef will be in.

AUTO TOP-OFF

Use of an auto top-off system is allowed, but not required.

HOODS AND STANDS

Any hood and stand may be used. Nano reefs will not be judged by their hood and stand.

THE SUMP/REFUGIUM SPACE

External sumps or refugiums are entirely optional. However, if you choose to use one, its volume must not exceed 10 gallons including your display. You are welcome to use a custom built system or standard tank. You may be asked to take photos of your sump with measuring devices and something else in the picture to prove it is a current photo. The entire system volume (display tank + sump, external filters, etc.) must not exceed 10 gallons.
NOTE: Volume refers to actual tank/sump volume, not necessarily total water used.

THE PLUMBING

Shortest route possible. Keep tanks close. Plumbing should not be used to increase system volume significantly. If it looks like it does, you may be asked to change it.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can thermometers be used?
Yes, any thermometer may be used.

Can I test my water using test kits (ph, alk, cal, etc) such as API brand?
Yes, all typical marine aquarium test kids may be used for your tank entry.

Can I use Live Rock from my other tank? I have plenty extra and it will speed my cycling.
Yes, you may use Live Rock from another reef system you have on hand.

Can I stock my stock contest entry tank with frags or corals from my display tank?
Yes, you are welcome to use frags from your other display tank. There will be a cutoff when contestants are not allowed to add any more corals to their tanks. This will force contestants to show they are in fact able to maintain and show growth under stock conditions, even if their corals came from a display tank 5 feet away. We strongly urge contestants to use frags rather than colonies to stock their nano tanks. Remember, the goal is to show growth and not who's tank looks full with corals! So we will monitor the growth of the corals over the 6-month period rather than just the final tank at the end of contest.

Can I dose my tank with nutrients, Zeo etc?
You are welcome to dose your tank as you see fit.

HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST

To officially enter this contest you will need to take a photo with a common household object (specified the day the contest begins) inside your unfilled tank setup. You will post this information in your own entry thread in the contest forum.
For example: Place a coke soda can inside your empty tank and take a picture. Start a new tread under the Nano Tank Contest Forum. This will be your tank build thread.

ENTRY THREAD INFORMATION

Go to www.jimdreef.com. And click on the Nano Reef Contest Logo on the top left side. This will take you to the Nano Reef Contest Forum. Here you create an entry thread. Your entry thread is where all the information, photos, and updates for your nano reef will be posted. When you are ready to enter the contest, please create a new topic in the nano reef contest forum. The topic title should be: “[10-Gallon] Your Username” . Your first post must contain your required entry photographs! For example: [10-Gallon] Moonyguy

Updates to the progress of your nano reef must be posted at a MINIMUM of once per month, and include at least 3 photos. Entries with missing months of updates will be disqualified for final judging. At the end of the contest, all entrants will be asked to make a final post summarizing the progress their nano reef has made. This will be a summary of your tank (what you have done and learned from the experience) along with pictures.

Remember to keep your entries as clear and organized as possible.

More Information on how your thread should look you can refer to Nano-Reef.com Contest Threads Here:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=61

A WORD ABOUT TANK CRASHES!

If your tank crashes (for any reason) you will not be able to restart after contest entry has closed (January 15th, 2009).

Reason: If your tank crashes, you would have to set it up again which would be basically be entering a new system after contest entry has ended. The point of this contest is to keep a healthy reef the first time around, not to start and then restart over and over if you continually hose your system.

PARTICIPATION

The contest is open to all reefers (including moderators here) since we have taken the pain to get external judges for the contest. However, the moderators reserve the final right to restrict the participation.

INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS

Members from outside the U.S. are welcome to participate, however we cannot guarantee that we will be able to ship prizes internationally.

IMPORTANT DATES

January 1st, 2009 - Contest officially begins
January 15th, 2009 - Last day to enter a nano reef
March 15th, 2009 - Last day to add new corals
May 15th, 2009 - Last day of contest
May 30th, 2009 - Prize Winners will be announced.

cheersContest Prizes  cheers
(More prizes will be added as time goes by)

First Prize

8 SPS Coral Frag Pack

This frag pack will consist of a mixture of acropora, millepora, montipora (capriconus and digitata), pocillopora, Seriatopora species. They are all captive raised and will be bug free. The size of the frags will vary but will be a minimum of 1". If you are within UPS 1-day ground shipping area from zip code 58203 we will ship the frags free. If you are further away we will pay half shipping.

Metal Halide Bulb from Dr Sanjay Joshi
We will post more details (make, wattage and spectrum) once we get them from Dr Joshi.

Second Prize

5 LPS Coral Frag Pack

Five different types of LPS corals. These are all captive raised and will be bug free. Each frag will be at least one head. If you are within UPS 1-day
ground shipping area from zip code 58203 we will ship the  frags free. If you are further away we will pay half shipping.

Third Prize

6 Softies Coral Frag Pack

Six different types of soft corals including, leather corals, star polyps, zoanthids, Palys, mushrooms. These are all captive raised and will be bug free. Each frag will be at least one head/polyp (Typically more if its zoanthids or star polyps). If you are  within UPS 1-day ground shipping area from zip code 58203 we will ship the  frags free. If you are further away we will pay half shipping.

All prizes are donations from the members and are not from any commercial source. You are welcome to contribute to the prizes if you have anything nice which is bug/disease free.

TERMS and CONDITIONS

1. The Contest organizers have the final say in the disqualification of any entry in the contest that violates the rules and spirit of reefkeeping.

2. The Organizers reserve the right to use any photograph/material posted by the participants for promoting the contest or the website. Due credit will be given to the original posters.

More rules could be added as and when appropriate.  

Questions and Comments: Please post in the questions thread on Nano Reef Contest forum on JimDReef or PM moonyguy

moonyguy
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 67

http://www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Back to top Go down

Nano Reef Contest 2009 Empty Re: Nano Reef Contest 2009

Post by moonyguy Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Garrett, Can you post this or link this to TCMAS so their members can also participate.
Vishnu

moonyguy
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 67

http://www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I will ask the mods over there if I can post it there.

I am going to lock this thread so it dont get flooded with replys!!

THANKS TO VISHNU AND JIM FOR SETTING THIS UP!!!
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down