Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It really has water in it!!!

2 posters

Go down

It really has water in it!!! Empty It really has water in it!!!

Post by seafishinmn Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:33 pm

I know you guys will be really excited...It's only been 11 months, but MY TANK HAS REAL WATER IN IT!!! Yahooo! bounce Very Happy I'm testing it with fresh H2O, then will start making RODI.
I'm trying to figure out how much water to keep in the sump...I know when power is off, display drains into sump. Do I want h2o "flowing" over my first baffle, or do I want the water to rise in the skimmer section, then raise over 1st baffle (kinda like a waterfall and "drop down " into and flow under the 2nd baffle , then rise to the 3rd, then into refuge area? Does that make any sense? You guys saw my setup the other weekend so Im guessing you know what Im talking about.
Thanks
seafishinmn
seafishinmn
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

It really has water in it!!! Empty Re: It really has water in it!!!

Post by Home_Depot Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:35 pm

THATS GREAT!!!!
you would want the water to go over the first one then under the second and over the third I have it were the water level is just below the the middle baffle. I guess I did not really look at the sump all that close.. Embarassed is there any way you can post a picture of the sump so we can kind of see..
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

It really has water in it!!! Empty sump

Post by seafishinmn Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Garrett, I have 3 baffles spaced about an inch apart. The first is seated on the tank floor, the 2nd is raised slightly, and the 3rd in seated on the tank floor.
The Height of the second elevated (middle) baffle is about the same height as baffle #1. The 3rd baffle (seated on the floor) is about an inch lower than baffle # 1 and #2. I can fill the sump with water above the 1st 2 baffles, and shut down power and the sump isn't gonna overflow but if I leave the h2o level that way, then I dont get the cascading effect (which I think youre supposed to have with this setup. It seems like the water flows over all 3 baffles.
How full is your display tank? Is the water level when you run an overflow system always at "just the bottom "of the overflow grid on your corner overflow, or is the water level a little higher. Maybe that depends uppon your flow rate. bigger pump, higher water, I dunno
Thanks Garrett
seafishinmn
seafishinmn
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 pm

You dont want the water going over all 3 baffles. I would set it up so that the water level "at regular running" is just below the top of the highest baffle. You just dont want the water level to be to high so if the power would go out and over flow your sump

My water level is just past the top trim piece ,I can't see the water level when looking at the tank.

The water in the grids is up about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch, but you are right I think that would all depend on the pump size.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by seafishinmn Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:52 am

thanks Garrett
seafishinmn
seafishinmn
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down