Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013

5 posters

Go down

SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013 Empty SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013

Post by mpedersen Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:55 am

I've spent the last 24 hours working on the "mass media" aspects of getting this news out, and am now spending time to bring my local clubs up to speed. In short, if you wish to continue keeping corals in your reef tanks, you need to take time to investigate this issue TODAY, April 5th, and submit commentary to our government before 11 PM CTS.

This has been going on for years, but recently NOAA has pushed forward with the proposal to list 66 species of stony coral on the endangered species list. MANY of these species are corals we commonly keep and frag and propagate.

If this listing goes through, it will do two things.

1. Due to the general inability to ID corals with certainty, the listing of the 66 species in question touches most genera we keep, and likely would cause the wholesale banning of the trade in live coral (and for that matter, coral jewelry etc. as well). This includes maricutlured and aquacultured corals, because the ESA has no provisions to allow for trade in cultivated endangered species.

2. This will make the possession, propagation, and sale of any species listed illegal. I have no clue if there would be any way to be grandfathered in, but I also think that this hasn't come up in the past, so there's no precedent. We very well could find ourselves in a position where the only way to stay on the legal good side would be if they provided some sort of amnesty and we all turned in our now "endangered corals"....or we simply threw them in the trash or buried them in our gardens or something.

This may sound absurd, but this is how the ESA works. I found nothing to give me any hope that our hobby would NOT be affected....pretty scary.

Here are three important links to help get you started:

PIJAC call to action with instructions on how to comment (please read the PDF linked in the article for the FULL story):
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/04/pijac-call-to-action-comment-on-proposed-esa-listing-of-66-coral-species/

My commentary on this issue:
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/04/commentary-noaas-20122013-66-coral-esa-proposal/

MASNA's stance on this issue (I encourage you to reference the MASNA letter in addition to any personal comment you make):
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/04/open-letter-to-coral-readers-from-masna/

Do not wait, do not delay, you MUST comment today, April 5th, before 11:00 PM CTS.

Last edited by mpedersen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013 Empty Re: SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013

Post by HSCmember Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am

None of these links work.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013 Empty Re: SPEAK UP FOR YOUR HOBBY OR LOSE IT! April 5th, 2013

Post by mpedersen Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 am

Sorry, they got truncated in the copy and paste. They should work now!
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:26 pm

I have a thread up on Red River Valley Reefers as well... I have commented and I hope it gets tossed out.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I posted my comments. I never thought I'd be an activist! I hope others joined the movement as well. And, hopefully it will make a difference.

Thanks Matt for the heads up!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 pm

It's not about being an activist, so much as simply defending your rights.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Was kidding....
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Looks like public commentary did not close last night, which means it closes tonight. I am frankly shocked that more people have yet to comment - it seems like folks aren't "getting it".

This is VERY serious and potentially a game changer. Please read Julian Sprung's contributions today, and do not delay to comment NOW while you still can! http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/06/julian-sprungs-noaa-esa-commentary/
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:10 pm

799 comments as of right now
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 pm

When I saw this Thursday it was 46....
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm

That's good, right? lol Very Happy
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 am

I think so....
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down