Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aiptasia eating Filefish

3 posters

Go down

Aiptasia eating Filefish Empty Aiptasia eating Filefish

Post by seaponygirl Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, after getting a shipment of dead peppermint shrimp and too many nahs on the Berghia nudibranchs, I went with a File fish. He is very small and is definitely snooping around the aptasias. If he gets down and dirty, he might be available for rent. Ha Ha. One website suggested that. So far no Zoa nipping, knock on wood. He is cool, lets hope he works.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Aiptasia eating Filefish Empty Re: Aiptasia eating Filefish

Post by GoingPostal Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Nice, I hope he behaves for you, I thought about one but didn't want to risk it, have some corals that look a lot like aips.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am

I am thinking, just thinking mind you that some of my Aiptasia are gone. He is looking much healthier than at the store. I know my largest aip is smaller, pulled in as though he is being harrased. Go Filefish Go!

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 am

The HSC filefish eats nori, silversides, anything he can get. I think he is the one who ate my featherdusters this week. Crying or Very sad Wonderful with aiptasia.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 am

As this scenario continues, my aipstasia are pretty much gone, but a few of my zoanthids seem diminshed as well as well as most of my small white tube worms. When I upgrade to Danreefs 40B the file fish will not be moving over. So here I'm thinking he's doing his job on the Aips, but this weekend, I discovered one of the peppermint shrimp and survived, so now I wonder who really is doing the job of cleaning up?
As to the larger tube worms, I have been doing some online reseach on them. Seems they will blow out their tops. Some die, but after mine did that, I just never got around to pulling out the tube. Suprise a couple of weeks later, a new head has emerged. So don't be in a rush to take out the "empty" tube, it might come back. They are supposedly difficult to keep fed. I don't know. My little white ones really multiplied, so at least they are easy to feed.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Darn, already disposed of them. They were pretty empty though, whoever went after them really was thorough.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Aiptasia eating Filefish Empty Filefish and Aipstasia

Post by seaponygirl Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

latest update. All and I mean All of my Aipstasia are gone. Not a tentacle left. I do have one peppermint shrimp, but he couldn't have eaten all them all. I was worried that he'd been nipping my zoas but turns out, my water needed changing. The filefish is awesome. He hands against the glass in a top corner at night, making him nearly invisible. I'm a believer now.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

Nice!
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod