Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shedding Polyps/Zoanthids

3 posters

Go down

Shedding Polyps/Zoanthids Empty Shedding Polyps/Zoanthids

Post by seaponygirl Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:34 am

I am noticing a number of single polyps, zoanthids, rolling across the sand in my 20 gallon tank. I have hermit crabs, assorted snails, a Turbo snail, a Yellow tang, 2 clown fish, a yellow tail damsel and a PJ cardinal. Could one of these be shearing them off their "rocks"? Will they establish themselves someplace. Do they need to be rescued? I am posting this under invertebrates too. Any ideas. They do open when their faces aren't in the dirt. LOL

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Shedding Polyps/Zoanthids Empty Re: Shedding Polyps/Zoanthids

Post by little_ocean_treasures Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I had this happen in one of my tanks. It was like they "melted" so to speak off their rock and some were never to be found again while others I found a while later open but still loose on the sand. So I reglued those that I found and placed them in a different tank and they did fine. For me, I think it was water quality is why they "melted". Zoas have been sort of hard for me to keep for some reason. Crying or Very sad
little_ocean_treasures
little_ocean_treasures
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 am

Did you just get them at the swap? If so, maybe they were loose on the sides from being fragged or something and just let go once in the flow of your tank. I would glue 'em to a plug and let 'em grow out. Then, you'll have a frag! Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I glued a few onto some rock and they are doing great. But now my "riccordea" mushroom, just leapt off it's rock and went to the bottom. I think this was deliberate. It came off some live rock. I had my water tested, and it came out ok. Once the Zoa's and mushrooms come off they seem to do fine in the sand, but I am curious as to why they are doing this. The mushroom was about 1 1/2 inch across. I just added the LED bulb we got from Cammie. Could there be too much light on them now? As for the polyps, it's not the whole colony, just individuals, or one double. Weird eh?

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down