Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr!

+4
orange bam bams
Mn. reef crzy
danreefs
Skip
8 posters

Go down

Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! Empty Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr!

Post by Skip Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Would a mod PLEASE put this in the TANK BUILD forum please Smile My bad for the wrong forum!

Okay here is my official tank thread! Last week I started with this:
http://www.frozenocean.org/general-reef-discussion-f3/hi-t1501.htm

Today, I picked up a sweet setup!
Oceanic 58RR (4 mos old)
Stand
Mag 5
Ebo Jaeger 250w
Ebo Jaeger 150w
MJ1200 w/1600 mod/mount
2-Mag Floats
Herbie overflow plumbing
20L DIY sump
Misc stuff

All for $175! Score me, yay! cheers

So I spent all day, and this is where I sit as the day ends:
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 29384_409685913837_505318837_4323204_2403440_n
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 29384_409688298837_505318837_4323280_3014346_n

Running into questions with the Herbie, as I was given the parts, but no directions, and seems like everyone does it differently...
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 29384_409692713837_505318837_4323341_12191_n
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 29384_409692728837_505318837_4323342_7705631_n
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 29384_409692738837_505318837_4323343_2588088_n

My single external output, there will be a dual output once I get a couple fittings:
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 30534_409699033837_505318837_4323488_7417617_n

My fish are already much happier with the deeper swimming room!

Thanks for looking, and I will add more once I do more! Wink

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! Empty Re: Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr!

Post by danreefs Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Nice looking tank. Your Herbie looks good thats thw way i run mine.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Thank you! I am getting it figured out finally, I have it silent with just the gate, once my silicone dries, I will work on the ball because I have a 36w UV plumbed inline, which then goes to the wet/dry for the time being until I re-route my lines.

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Well I have the UV plumbed in, 36w of nuking power! I have the overflow silent now, but I get a bit of water crashing though the UV, I will change that some day, but I can live with it for now. I have never had a silent tank, so it would seem odd if I did!

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 am

Just a thought but you usually need a pretty slow flow through a uv for it to work properly. I would check with your manufacturer for suggestions, or you could put a gate valve before sterileizer.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 am

There is a ball valve inline before. Depending on what you want to accomplish with the UV, the flow rate could be slower or quicker. Also, consideration for size of UV as well. I use to run a 9w on my 125 and would run it 85gph, this is a 36w so theoretically I should be able to easily do 270gph for the same performance? I will check around.

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:05 am

I'm no expert on this but higher watt uv's have longer bulbs and longer sterilizer tubes for more water contact for bigger tanks, I'm just saying I have not seen many tanks with uv online with main return, you could just Y of main return and gate valve it seperate from main return, just a thought.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm

I totally hear what your saying, but for the time being, this is what I am working with, as I spent many hours on Sunday to get the tank running. My sump situation is not what I want, it is too small, I have a 20L tahat I may turn into a sump, and I do plan on changing some things, but I figured that running a UV is better than not running any UV. It's all good!

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:16 am

do u really want uv on a reef tank? I always thought they were bad as they nuked a lot of good along with the bad if memory serves me right the cons well out weighed the pros i guess unless it is fish only then it wouldn't be bad i suppose. I personally have no experience with them i run a aquanizer i believe its called kinda same concept but less negatives in a reef setting from the reading i did i will see if i can find a link. If any one has other opinions or thoughts please educate me as i said no first hand experience with uv sterilizers .
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:38 am

I ran a 9w for a couple of years, both in my 90, and my 125, and if you seen my video, it must not have hurt the system too bad Wink I never tested water after the first 2 months I first set up, and did a water change once a month, as I had a few gallons of evaporation a day, so I figured I was always adding fresh water... I had a MJ600 powering the 9w with a valve, and ran it 80gph or so, in the sump, it would draw from the baffles, and dump to the chaeto/pod chamber, that way, no pods were getting fried(even though if they could with stand a Velocity T2, they should withstand a waterslide of UV).

So I guess I personally have had success in running one. Anyone else?

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:55 am

nice! good info as i said i may be misinformed or misdirected on them kinda why i was asking was unsure ! thanks buddy1 just for fun we should see how many do or dont run them everyone ya or nay!
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 am

uv in general are a great thing for fish health and water clarity. But according to some literatures they are not good for reef tanks at all. They have the ability to kill all micro. Life on a reef. I suggest uv to people well setting up tank and adding new fish, I think personally the only thing uv helps with is ick. I'm just giving some tips,everyone finds success in many ways in there tanks.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:45 am

Also, I ran a 36w uv turbo twist for first two years and last 6 months since I really stopped adding stuff I removed it. No fish have died or been sick. I am not putting if back online tell I see ick. Doesn't mean either wy is better IMO I'm just saying eeryone has success in different ways.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:01 am

Looks great!

Regarding the UV, they are good at nuking stuff, good or bad. It fals down to opinion, but when you look at the turnover in a typical reef tank there is no way ALL of the water goes through the UV. Because of that it is never going to nuke everything. They do assist in clearing up the water because it will kill some of the free floating algae that can reduce clarity. They are not a solution though to the typical fish diseases/parasites like ich unless ALL the water passes through the UV, but they can help a little by eliminating what does flow through it. I personally do not run UV but I have been very tempted to try it...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Will

ECO-Aqualizer
TM

damage beneficial bacteria,
zooplankton, and

phytoplankton like the use of UV sterilizers do?

NO.

It will not have any harmful effects at all to any
beneficial

living bacterias. In fact, just the opposite, it will

boost growth due to the greater bio-availability of
Oxygen

created by ECO-Aqualizer
TM.
This was in the FaQ's section on the products website! I run one of these it is way to small for my tank but still seems to do a wonderful job i fully recomend it and so do they free trials all u pay 4 is shipping and they last up to 10 years maintenecse free. I diffenetly saw a difference in my water clarity as far as there other claims i hav no proof alotta big names back them up to check it out they are awesome ! seem to good to be true !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:34 pm

wow that was small typing lol if u can read that lol !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:11 am

Well, I had my first Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! Facepalm

To sum it up... I broke off an ear of one of my LR shelves Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! Sad_fish.sized

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 am

Alright, so I have traded my F. Perc off and adopted a mated pair of F. Percs, with a large Sabea as seen here:
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 36647_412962358837_505318837_4410862_2028244_n
Been playing with lighting. Above we have PC Actinic with 12k T5 daylights. Below is a 150w HQI with blues and LEDs.
Project BP Free, my Oceanic 58rr! 36356_412965853837_505318837_4410893_8080403_n

If I keep the HQI I will most likely upgrade it to a 250w Icecap and real actinic PC unless I can retro some T5s in there somehow.

Not too keen on the dark spots at the moment.... My Hippo has not come out since I put the clowns/nem in....

I have also ditched the MJ1600 and put in two Tunze 6025s.

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:58 am

I kind of like the spotlight effect, I love your rockwork, is it held up by something? I used to have a 58 oceanic, non reef ready, heaviest darn tank I've ever owned, the glass was so thick it was built like a tank!
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks! the left side is drilled with rods, and the right structure is stacked. This isn't that terribly heavy, but being my 4 RR this is my favorite thus far. I have had a Perfecto 90, AGA 125, and some sort of 30 cube...

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by t-bass Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:37 pm

looking good
t-bass
t-bass
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:36 am

Thinks are NOT good tonight! Nothing went right, and I mucked up a bulkhead and lost 10 gallons or so all over the wall and floor. Huge mess, and the tank is not operating right now. I do not have the ideal living arrangement for this, let alone the work space to do what I want to do, and it is probably best that I throw the towel in(if I can fine a dry one) until I get my own place... My roommate is gonna be so ticked when he finds out I had a spill, well, he might not find out unless it marks the ceiling or wall underneath...

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:23 am

I hope that was just 2 a.m. talk. This build has been fun to watch.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Sadly, it has to go, the roommates are less than happy, and they don't want another accident or massive spill! Seriously, I live in a small loft, no room to do anything, or not always having the correct tools to do the job.

Yes it has been fun, and it is disheartening knowing I have to leave the hobby once again. Thankfully I have the support of my fiancee who was quick to say that once we get out own place, a reef will thrive again!

Skip
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down