Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs

4 posters

Go down

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Empty Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs

Post by HSCmember Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 pm

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Jaquie12
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Empty Re: Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs

Post by mpedersen Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

Is there only just the one cleaner?

The thing is, they are simultaneous hermaphrodites, and they do not lay their eggs, but carry them through hatching. If the eggs were there only 24 hours or so after molting, and if this is the only cleaner shrimp in the tank, it's just the shrimp producing infertile eggs which are then "discarded"...not really "laid".

FWIW, incredibly difficult to rear...they spend almost half a year in a planktonic phase...
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Empty Re: Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs

Post by HSCmember Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:18 pm

We have Jacqui & Cousteau. Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Herz Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Herz

We do have some little things flitting around under what I think is the hairy mushrooms. No, I don't hold much hope out except the tank is fairly under populated right now.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm guessing those little things are more likely to be Mysids or Amphipods. The odds of a cleaner shrimp living for half a year floating around in the water column are basically nil.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 pm

They are the cleaner shrimp lavie or what ever you call them, they are not pods of any kind they look like little tad poles and there are about 20-30 of them and they all just hang out under that one rock. It is kind of cool.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Home_Depot wrote:They are the cleaner shrimp lavie or what ever you call them, they are not pods of any kind they look like little tad poles and there are about 20-30 of them and they all just hang out under that one rock. It is kind of cool.

Totally mysids, not Cleaner Shrimp, I'm willing to stake my entire reputation as a marine breeder on this assessment. The larvae of Cleaner Shrimp have a roughly 140-180 day pelagic phase before settling, and when they settle, they are not little tadpole looking things, but are in fact nice regular shrimp. Have the parents even been in the tank that long?

Here's one of the first known (if not THE first) hobbyist rearing of L. amboinensis, all nicely documented with pictures of what the babies look like at all stages - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=846955&highlight=L.amboinensis+larva
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed ok I take your word for it....
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm

LOL - didn't mean to totally decimate your side of the argument Wink But yeah, they'd literally have to survive in the water column of the tank for almost a half year, finding food, avoiding getting sucked into the filtration or eaten by the fish in the tank...it's just virtually impossible.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I am going to have to try and get a picture of the little guys cause I did a search for mysids and they dont look like that either.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:45 pm

mpedersen wrote:LOL - didn't mean to totally decimate your side of the argument Wink But yeah, they'd literally have to survive in the water column of the tank for almost a half year, finding food, avoiding getting sucked into the filtration or eaten by the fish in the tank...it's just virtually impossible.

High on cloud nine and matt shoots me down.... CRASH!!!!!!LOL,LOL Sad
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

I could have told you so...I had read that thread when we first got the shrimp but you were so sure. Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs Lol

Now about the Powder Blue Tang...
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm

I am just going to keep my mouth shut from now on then!!! Very Happy Very Happy lol! I am tired of getting this Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs 969297 when ever I say anything...LOL,LOL.LOL
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 am

You are fun to tease, and we are all here to learn and we learn a lot from you. Keep up the good work!

We wouldn't razz you if we didn't like you.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:12 am

Here's the HSC Cleaner before she laid her eggs 452363 scratch scratch
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 am

has the tank been up for 6 months yet?

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 am

I checked back on the postings, and the water was added the first part of August.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down