Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaner shrimp

4 posters

Go down

Cleaner shrimp Empty Cleaner shrimp

Post by HSCmember Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm

We have one skunk cleaner shrimp in the Headwaters Science Center 210 gal tank, I know I can add one more, but is there any reason to stop at 2? Could 3 get along ok?

HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Cleaner shrimp Empty Re: Cleaner shrimp

Post by icereefer Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:15 am

No 3,4,ect fine they do well together one thing to take note of the more you add the more Iodine they will consume,if your doing water changes every couple of weeks Iodine shouldn't be an issue for 2 to 3 any more they might consume enough to where you'd have to dose,and you don't want to dose if you can't test it.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:49 am

We do about a 25 gal water change religiously every week to clean the bottom of the tank and at least once a month the bottom of the sump. Good to know- I hadn't thought about iodine. No, we are not knowledgeable to dose ....yet.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:11 pm

My two cents, I would really stay away from dosing the 210. Just because it's largely volunteers that maintain it (actually, mostly Susan) other than Frank maintaining the equipment. Dosing adds another layer of maintenance with more testing, etc. as well as another layer of costs. It's not so bad when you're tank is at home with you but when every thing you do requires a special trip, it would seem like a lot, I think. The tank is actually doing really good right now. What's in there is doing well with the current routine.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Added a second cleaner- they are running around together already and a feather duster group- looks like at least 3 heads or whatever you call them. Everyone appears happy and we did the week water change.

Now what do we need to do to keep the feather dusters alive and healthy? I put them on the bottom of the tank on some coral rubble. They are not in direct light. At the store they were hidden under an anemone so I am going to assume they don't want a lot of light?

Yeah, never say never on dosing, but it certainly isn't anything we appear to need right now.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm not sure it matters where they are placed for light. They're not a coral and I've not ever heard anything about them doing better or worse in different lighting but someone else can feel free to chime in. I think flow is more important since they filter feed. Live Aquaria says medium flow (whatever that means). The 210 will hopefully support them better than my 75. I had one ages ago and eventually, maybe after about a year, it just bailed out of it's tube and died. It was so sad. I learned, probably on this forum, that they often starve in captivity. It does seem like some people do OK with them but I'm afraid to get one again after that experience. Sad I wish you well with them. They sure are cool!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

I've had two large tube worms "die" too. They seem to be doing fine and suddenly they abandon the tube. The starvation seems likely. I do have dozens of small tube worms. They are white and have even attached to hermit crabs. The small ones have multiplied and are very active. It's said to see the big ones go.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down