Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish for HSC list

5 posters

Go down

Fish for HSC list Empty Fish for HSC list

Post by plnelson Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:02 am

Here is a list of fish that I am thinking about ordering for the Science Center's aquarium. Please feel free to post your thoughts and recommendations, this list isn't set in stone. At least not until I place the order on Wednesday. Hopefully some of you will order fish as well, to help defer the
shipping costs so that I can order more for the center. Smile

Bangii Cardinals. I'm thinking 6. It's the same price if I get 5 or 6.
Yellow Headed Jawfish
Lubbock's Wrasse
Yellow headed sleeper Goby, Maybe multiples
Pink Spot Shrimp Goby
Clown Gobies; yellow, green, and orange
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Yellow Tang
Royal Dotty back

Things I want that are out of stock; Pistol Shrimp, Copper Band Butterfly, Green Chromis

Let me know what you think.

Please also keep in mind that stocking an aquarium is not an exact science, and when dealing with the quantity of fish that will eventually inhabit this aquarium, issues will arise. So far, this is a fairly docile list. I purposely avoided some acceptable, all be it, slightly more aggressive species. Hawks, Psedochromis, tangs (I think a clown tang would be awesome).
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Fish for HSC list Empty Re: Fish for HSC list

Post by blennieluvr Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

IMO, we don't need another yellow tang.

How much would all of that be? More than the donation? I don't know if I would feel right spending more than the donated amount on fish. We still need snails and other CUC and there must be more equipment needs even though nothing comes to mind right at the moment.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Maybe I just need to know how much we were authorized to spend and then I'd feel better about this big of a purchase. When we bought fish last time, we had $350 to spend and it was to cover some equipment too.

And, I think we had talked about getting some inverts from Mary and Dustin when they come. What else are we needing? If we make a plan for the winter month's purchases, that would help too.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 pm

In regards to prices, I was given an amount to spend on fish, and have not exceeded that amount. Please do not worry about cost, that is something that is between Retro Reef and the Science Center.

I would like to allow other people to have input into what kinds of fish that go into it. It's should make for a good discussion.

I've been thinking about ordering some Trochus snails. I believe that is what SWE has been recommending for a while.

I think we are OK on equipment. I'm going to bring my Kent media reactor in and run carbon in it.

Edit: We need to plan for new Halide bulbs. ISH

Last edited by plnelson on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 pm

I asked Li (Clownnut) from SWE about Trochus snails, and this is what he said.

"they are better snail than astrea snail.eat more and can flop themselves up when fall over.
Li"

So I think I'll put some of them on the order, maybe in place of the yellow tang.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:51 pm

IMO I think we should get new MH bulbs too and as far as fish go it dont really matter to me. I was always told that slow is beter in this hobby and IMO(again) adding 18 fish at one time is a bit much?
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Home_Depot wrote:IMO I think we should get new MH bulbs too and as far as fish go it dont really matter to me. I was always told that slow is beter in this hobby and IMO(again) adding 18 fish at one time is a bit much?

Im with HD that is to much at one time. As for fish i just like to see lots of colors.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Like I said, this is up for discussion. Tell me what you think we should keep or get rid of or change.

Again though too, I was given a specific amount for fish(not from the science center), and that is what I'm focusing on.

Keep in mind too, the size of some of the fish on the list, most of them are shipped less and 3" long, and ones like the clown gobies are tiny.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schaver Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm with HD also, i think that is to many fish at once I've heard that the tank is looking great and no problems and with that many fish add to basiclly a new tank for the most part IMO i think it may be a bit much and dont want a tank crash or a spike of some sort but thats my opinion.
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:48 pm

As for tangs for a tank that size Naso Blonde Tang as some nice colors or a clown tang

and wrasse's what about a Leopard Wrasse or a 6 line

other fish Bartlett's Anthias love the color on them,Red Mandarin (when the tank is rdy), Rock Blenny,Green Clown Gobyx2 , Black Sailfin Blenny lol i can go on all day i will stop for now Smile
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:39 pm

I can get a sixline, and Anthias. I'm a little worried about Anthias feeding requirements though. Everything I've read about them says they need to be fed multiple time per day.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down