Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube

+4
Home_Depot
HSCmember
danreefs
GoingPostal
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bought a 24 gallon nanocube - Page 2 Empty Re: Bought a 24 gallon nanocube

Post by GoingPostal Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Home_Depot wrote:I have been in a battle with HA for about 6 months now and I am slowly winning just run some GFO and carbon and pluck what you can off. If you can take the rock out do it and get a wire brush and scrub it. Also maybe get a tang to help and it is hit or miss with a lawnmower blennie. Also could try a foxface they like HA too.

It's a nano Garrett, he can't throw a tang in there! Maybe some cleaners though, hermits and snails and take the rock out and scrub if possible. I have good luck just doing some massive water changes and cutting the amount of time the lights on, maybe leave it off for a couple days and then a big waterchanges. Every tank goes through algea blooms, it sucks. Are you using ro/di water?
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:16 pm

tiff what is the watermellon chalice? and the cephestrea is really cool!

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Mn. reef crzy wrote:tiff what is the watermellon chalice? and the cephestrea is really cool!

I think the watermelon is the one the TCMAS folks are always selling, JNS grape maybe? I don't remember. I love the cyphastrea, I just wish it would grow, everybody said it was fast growing! We'll see how it does in this tank though, it's supposed to like lower light and I had it under the 250s in the other tank before.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:29 pm

very awesome either way.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:41 am

I know I have been leaving on lights too much. I was trying to bring on at 6:00 am and off at 6:30 just so I could enjoy the tank before and after work. Maybe I should try on at 6 a.m. then off till what noon? Then back on till 7:00 pm?

I do use only RO water, what amount should I change how often? Seems, I guess I should test my water fresh to see what I am putting in the tank. I have made up a batch of Dow Flake water, Kalk-vasser, and Epsom salt water, but I think I was overdosing so I have discontinued all dosing to get a handle on things.

More testing less dosing?

I cooked the baking soda I put in the kalk-vasser. That is supposed to reduce the CO2 in the water.

I do not feed much, in fact only lately have I increased feeding a little. Approx 1/2 tsp of frozen brine shrimp every other day. I have two clowns, a fire fish and a gobi, 2 peppermint shrimp, two hermits and a peach snail. Oh and I installed a cleaner shrimp last friday. Tank is approx two months old. Hopeful to add frags soon if I can be sure my water is stable.

Readings so far are NO2 zero, NO3 zero, ph 8.4, KH 13 temp 78.3 lighting is compact fluorescents
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:46 am

I only run my lights 7-8 hours but I have halides which are more powerful, as long as your bulbs are still good 12 hours is probably ok but cutting back may help, I change out about 4 gallons a week, no fish in my tank yet but it's heavily fed. I would ditch the brine shrimp, it's like junk food for fish, get some mysis instead and maybe a few more options to switch it up. Don't dose anything unless you are testing for it, with what you have in there currently just regular water changes should keep levels up fine, if they aren't then worry about adding stuff. I don't dose anything.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Good advise, thank you!
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish