Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recycle tank

5 posters

Go down

recycle tank Empty recycle tank

Post by Joyce Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 pm

I just got a 125g and used well water...I do have an ro system and am making water to change it...my cycle period is now in the nitrite stage... 3 weeks so far..if i change the water now will I have to start the cycle system over...I have live rock, live sand and 4 damsels. Would appreciate different opinions...thanks.

Joyce
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 75

Back to top Go down

recycle tank Empty Re: recycle tank

Post by blennieluvr Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 pm

I'm not sure I follow. You do have RO but used well water? Goingpostal doesn't have problems when she doesn't use RO but I sure did. What does your water test before it runs through the RO?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:40 pm

I didn't have ro water ready at the time I started it up...my reading is over 200 before it runs through the ro. so if i drain the tank and add my ro now will I have to go through the recycle period again...or is the live rocks that are cycling not the water?
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:59 am

it will cycle again if you drain it completely. you will be pulling all the bacteria out of the tank other than what will be left in the sand.
I would just start over and rewait the cycle. 200 is to high.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks for your opinion..so its just not the live rocks and live sand that is cycling but also the water? Is that correct?
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by wiz224 Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:36 pm

That is correct. But at 200 i agree i would probably just bite the bullet and start over. You will thank yourself in the long run.
wiz224
wiz224
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:25 pm

ok..my cycle is in the nitrite stage with brown algae on live rocks..if I start over like you suggest ...do I scrub the algae off the rocks..rinse the live sand..do I use my halides or no lights at all? I have 4 damsels...do I get rid of the fish? Sorry for so many questions.
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm

depends what you want to do with your live rock, i would at a minimum scrub it but i would probably just put it in muratic acid and make it dead rock and start over. bring the damsels somewhere or create a hospital tank.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

ok..thanks for the info.
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:23 pm

I would wait the cycle out and do bigger wc's. Why would changing 100% of the water mess with the lr to have to give it a acid bath? When I did planted tanks I did 50%wc every week and didn't see a cycle after each, I have read that people with nano's do 50-100% wc in reefs and no problems. I don't agree with the bateria being in the water as there is some but most, Say 90% is in the sand and lr, draining it will expose the rock and sand to air so you will take a step back in the cycle and have some of the bactiria die off from this but won't kill all of it. I think the biggest draw back to draing it is the starting over of the rock curing. The algea should come off the rocks with a powerhead blowing on them and is typical of cycling a new tank. This is my .02.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

thanks for your imput..I was hoping not to have to change the water until the cycling was done...why do I have to start over curing the rocks.. if I will only be losing some bacteria..curing the rocks how..what do you mean?
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:40 pm

You won't have to start over with curing just it would take longer if you drain and refill the tank. From what I understand from reading when I set mine up curing is basicly cycling the rock as you put it in a tub and wait till you get a 0 reading on the test kit to sum it up so the same as cycling a tank. Every time you take rock out and exspose it to air you will kill some of the stuff in it and end up with a mini cycle. I would keep the lighting to a minimal as it will just give the algea fuel to grow. Here is a acrtical that I have read on curing and found useful. http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/liverockberlinsetups/ht/ht_curelrinaq.htm Hope that helps.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Joyce Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm

thanks for all your help and the article link...much appreciated recycle tank Icon_biggrin
Joyce
Joyce
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down