Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alkalinity

4 posters

Go down

Alkalinity Empty Alkalinity

Post by danreefs Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Is it true that i can use Baking Soda to increase my DKH?
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Alkalinity Empty Re: Alkalinity

Post by brad Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 am

I thought i read that it was not good to. I think you have to bake it. Get the stuff from BRS and be done.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 am

There are some good articles on ReefCentral and Advanced Aquarist regarding this topic. There are issues with each when DIYing. I feel safer buying the right stuff but if you want to do some reading check these out:

DIY 2-Part
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1667202&highlight=DIY+2part
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

I think i will just get the stuff from BRS. Not sure tho if i need to get the stuff that will make my PH go up or down my PH stays about 8.0- 8.4
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 pm

8.0 - 8.4 is a pretty big swing for a normal PH level. Mine stays at 8.2 to 8.25 most of the time. I use the one that raises the PH a little but try to drip it in slowly (I'll be posing a DIY in the forums shortly for a 2-part dripper when I get it working). If I drip mine slow it has no issue. If I dump it in fast it can jump pretty high.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:31 pm

dan do you offset your fuge lighting at night, also you could dose kalk at night to try and stop they big ph swing. If you can get it more conisitant you will have better luck growing coral faster.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Mn. reef crzy wrote:dan do you offset your fuge lighting at night, also you could dose kalk at night to try and stop they big ph swing. If you can get it more conisitant you will have better luck growing coral faster.

Yes i do run my fuge light at night. I think my PH test kit sucks and it is hard to read( AGI). My coral growth is good. ALL my corals look good but my frogspwan looks a litte unhappy (think this is do to my new powerhead placement) still playing with it. I do need to get my DHK up it's at 5
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 pm

You are going to want to get that alk up... My tank hit 5 not too long ago (couple weeks) and it started to burn the tips of my SPS and started to STN some of them. After water changes and lots of dosing they are back to normal minus a few. I kinda slacked for a bit and didn't test (stupid me) Sad

Since you are already running your fuge at night opposite the other lights you might want to look inti the areation tests for PH. Take a sample of water outside with an air pump. Force some fresh air into the sample and see what the PH does. The only instability with my PH happens when there is too much CO2 in the apartment (drops to 7.Cool. My fuge is running 24x7 but the skimmer intake is so low it forces the CO2 into the water. Opening a window for a couple hours corrects it for me.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:47 pm

My 2 part kit is on the way. My SPS tips ot white so i need this bad Sad
danreefs
danreefs
Great White