Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re-aquascaping

5 posters

Go down

re-aquascaping Empty re-aquascaping

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 pm

My big project this weekend is redoing our rock work. We got some more live rock a while back and it has been sitting in the back of our tank making it look cluttered now for a couple of weeks. So, I'm going to attempt to tear everything down and start over. It's going to be tricky with stuff growing everywhere.

We currently have it strategicly placed down the center of our tank. One long ledge with tunnels through here and there. I'd like to make more room on the sand for the brain that's coming at the mext meeting. However, I need to leave room to scrape the back of the tank since it's viewable from all sides unless I want to see corraline algae every time I come up our stairs. confused

I was thinking of just stacking three islands in the tank but just not totally sure. How happy are you guys that stacked it up against the back wall? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

re-aquascaping Empty Re: re-aquascaping

Post by tattooedreefer Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:42 pm

i always stack it up from the front to back...i leave a few inches in the front for brains and then make it angle up to the back and i like the way it looks?
tattooedreefer
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:55 pm

I never thought of doing that. I bet it's makes for a lot of coral placement options. I wonder if I have enough rock for that?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tattooedreefer Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:00 pm

hey blennieluvr i am selling all my rock if you want it...i have around 125-150 lbs alljammed in a 75 gallon...if your looking
tattooedreefer
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 pm

You could also drill it and put rods in there like I did then you can basicly do what ever you want to do.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Garrett, would we be able to do that with corals growing on them do you think? It sure does open up the design options.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 am

You should be able to. You would have to take the rock out of the tank to drill it, the coral would get pretty mad but as long as they are not out of the water for more than a few min. they should be fine IMO. We take them out to frag then and sometimes that takes a few min.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:49 am

I have rock up against my back glass and Don't like it one bit, for one you have pressure points sitting on that glass and if you ever have a rock slide it would be like hitting your glass with a ball ping hammer.
Rodding your rock like garrett mentioned is best IMO you can keep it off your glass and shape it anyway you want. and you can get those long bits and drill your rock right in your water.not in your tank but in a bucket.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks guys. We're going to give drilling the rock a shot I think. I'm sure it will give the most satisfying results. It won't be the first time I've made my corals mad although I do believe in leaving them alone as much as possible.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:36 pm

This did not go well. I got everything out and then could not see a darned thing so basicly stacked it all up and turned all the equipment back on. Evil or Very Mad I need another heater to keep my corals warm while working in the tank.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by moonyguy Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 pm

I have used zip ties with good success. I have also used epoxy to glue small rocks. It was much easier for me than using rods and also permitted me to do arches and caves easily.
Hope that helps.
Vishnu

moonyguy
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 67

http://www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:03 am

Good point Vishnu. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. We're feeling a lot better about it now though. The end result is taller rock work, the ability to still clean all the way around, a nice spot for the brain and larger colonies of the softies that spread like crazy. We tried to isolate those a bit more too.

I'll still move a few things around but think I'm going to let everything settle down a bit first. And, going to do a w/c very soon.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by moonyguy Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Great. Cant wait to see things in person next week. I assume there is a tank tour organized for the meeting!
Vishnu

moonyguy
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 67

http://www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

We're a little more spread out than you guys were geographically. I think the plan is to see Brett Cooper's tank after Garrett's. He lives probably about in the middle of Garrett and I. With the meal, meeting, frag swapping and seeing those two tanks, I think we're going to be busy already.

However, anyone is welcome to come to our place afterward. Be forwarned, we live 20 miles from Garrett though. And, we're NE so it's the wrong direction from a lot of folks. From Cooper's place, it's maybe 10 miles?

We can host a meeting at our place down the road or something too.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down