Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Crab?

2 posters

Go down

Black Crab? Empty Black Crab?

Post by BareFootAviary Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm not sure if I should post this here or somewhere else, so if it is in the wrong place, just delete it!

I have a crab in my tank that I have yet to identify. He has the same body shape as an Emerald crab, but he is jet black. He is smooth and shiny. He is nocturnal and I very rarely see him (whoever gets that rock will have a treat!). I was given him by friend who simply called him a "Black Crab" but I wanted to learn more about him. I believe he is about 2 inches across, but that was a couple of years ago, so he may have grown if he was not full sized.

Any ideas?

BareFootAviary
Plankton
Plankton

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Black Crab? Empty Re: Black Crab?

Post by BareFootAviary Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 am

Thanks!

BareFootAviary
Plankton
Plankton

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Impossible to tell without a picture. There's lots of crabs out there. Would need to see claws and head to have a guess but probably just a cleanup critter if nothings ever gotten eaten or disappeared in the tank. Some crabs get to be a problem once they grow up, eating corals and smaller inverts. Do you ever feed it? Only crab I've dealt with was a little hairy one that liked to take chunks out of my leathers, had to dismantle half the tank to chase him out. That wasn't fun. Maybe yours is a variation on an emerald and a algea eater.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by BareFootAviary Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 pm

I have fed him Shrimp Pellets by dropping them in front of him when I noticed him peeking out a bit, but he very rarely comes out. I assume he is not a carnivore, or at least not an active hunter as he has never eaten any of my fish or inverts.

I will try to get a pic when I get down there for Thanksgiving, but honestly, I don't think I will even get a chance to see him. I have only seen him maybe a handful of times since I got him from the friend.

BareFootAviary
Plankton
Plankton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:25 pm

I would love to have him and the red hermit if you could catch em Razz Let me know

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down