Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dinner and a fish

4 posters

Go down

dinner and a fish Empty dinner and a fish

Post by seaponygirl Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:58 pm

This isn't about Reef's, but I thought it might be interesting to you all.  I went to a fancy restaurant here in Bemidji.  They had one of those requisite fountains with goldfish and koi in it.  When I got there, I happily looked at the fish and saw two of them doing the belly up boogie.  Been there done that.
 I can't, just can't, leave stuff like this go.  So I asked the waitress if she would ask the manager if she'd be willing to give me the floaters.
 She came out and said she was glad to have a "fish rescuer".  So after dinner they put them in a bucket.
 These two fish were Ryukins.  The goldfish with the fancy tails and humped backs.  Rather hard to keep as they have sensitive stomach. If they are overfed, they bloat up like ballons and do the backstroke
 The most successful treatment is to mix some finely ground food with a drop of two of mineral or olive oil and water to make it thinner and force feed them.  The oil and food kickstarts their digestion and if they can get going they usually will poop out the blockage.
 This morning one was definitely on the road to recovery, the other one is swimming better with his tail hanging down.  Lots of stuff on the bottom on the bowl, so a quick water change, and we'll see.
 Hope it's interesting and Happy Holidays

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

dinner and a fish Empty Re: dinner and a fish

Post by blennieluvr Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Good for you!  I hope they both recover and you can end this year on a happier note!  Our club's own "fish rescuer"!  Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Huntress13 Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Sue, you are one very compassionate person. If only other people had half that much compassion. I really hope you have a wonderful new year.
Huntress13
Huntress13
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks for the compliment, I agree we should all think more of the season all year, myself included.
An update on the fish. They are doing great. I put them in my rubbermaid stock tank with the koi and shunbkins (sp?). The water was really cold, so I put in a small heater to help everyone. Yesterday the sickies were at the top asking for food. They are swimming well. I need to call the restaurant and let them know they recovered.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:14 am

Nice going Sue!
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White