Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starving fish

2 posters

Go down

starving fish Empty starving fish

Post by seaponygirl Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 am

Good morning,
This is a head's up for newbies, and others. Don't assume when you get a new fish, that is well acclimated fish, that is eating well, that it will eat your food. I got a new Yellow Tang to eat my vast farm of hair algae. He had been at the LFS for 3 weeks and was fat and healthy. He has been eating the algae with relish. I have fed him, Oyster eggs, Arcti-Pods, and Oyster Feast. Yesterday I did a close exam on him, and he was thinner than when I had bought him. Apparently the fancy feast was not to his liking. I immediately fed him so brine shrimp and he snapped that up. Oops. I will have to wean hem onto the better foods.
My advice... Make sure they are eating AND find out what they eating, and make sure they are swallowing the new food, not just sucking it in and spitting it out later.
Darn those expert's advice. There's a reason they are called expert.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

starving fish Empty Re: starving fish

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 am

Get some dried seaweed, most tangs love that stuff.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 am

He has tons of hair algae to eat, and he's chowing on that. I've been feeding him brine each night with a smattering of other. He is starting to eat the other stuff. I just thought it was interesting that I forgot to check my LFS and I just assumed everone would eat the expensive stuff.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down