Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whelp, this stinks

+2
icereefer
Swanwillow
6 posters

Go down

whelp, this stinks Empty whelp, this stinks

Post by Swanwillow Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 am

I'm getting down to almost giving up.  Ever since I moved, nothing has grown, or re-colored-up.  I bought a fancy new heater, and it won't keep the heat up.  My auto-top-off doesn't work, and when it does it over-works and floods the sump. The only thing I seem to beable to keep alive are the fish.  And when I do water tests, even buying a new nitrate test, I don't believe the results as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all say 0!!!  How can nitrate be 0?!?!  Dunno! Oh! And when its hot outside, its hot inside, and a little fan can't keep it cool...

So I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and either going freshwater, of getting things with stings and forgetting about buying new corals for now.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

whelp, this stinks Empty Re: whelp, this stinks

Post by icereefer Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Man Jodi your just not having a good coral year? If I could ask what test kits are you using?
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 pm

When did you move? When my tank went to hell and I switched out the light and everything, it looked like crap and nothing grew for a long time. Plus a bunch of algae problems had me considering giving up. I put less effort in but eventually scrubbed it all down, did a big water change and rearranged and tried to get back into it. It looked just ok for a bunch more months and now it's finally starting to look good and corals are doing well and algae is almost gone. It's not what it was before but I am glad I didn't give up.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodToGo Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am

I just went through a spell where several corals either died or were chronically distressed. Dead included whisker, candy cane, distressed included finger leather. My parameters were all good the whole time. I began to think that the distressed finger leather was causing the problems for the others. Whatever was bothering the leather eventually killed it, I never figured out what it was. As soon as it was out of the tank all other corals normalized.

Came home from a weekend away last night and found my royal gramma covered in something bad and breathing heavy, so now trying to catch him so I can treat him in a separate tank. It is not going well.

GoodToGo
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:59 am

When it rains it pours. Don't give up. Freshwater has just as many problems as salt, just different. I had planted tanks when we lived in Tulsa. Plants grew so well I had to prune every couple of weeks. When we moved here, the water was so hard, my plants looked like they had been dipped in cement. I moved my koi to a larger tank, and they all died because for some reason, not sure, they all got bubbles in their veins. Saltwater might be like perennial plants. The rule for them is, after you plant them, the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year the leap. As in growing, for you brown thumbers out there. Maybe your tank isn't feelin' the love. Try some baby talk, they proved on Myth Busters, that swearing at plants really does retard their growth.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Moved in April. Test kits are seachem and red sea, I think? I'm about to walk out the door to work. I had a small algae issue, but that's nearly gone now too.

At least I'm not the only one! I think mine started when I moved, I had an emergency with the overheating of my corals, then too cold, then had to do a big water change without ro/di water..
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:56 am

OK. So, since this you also had a tank leak and downsized. How's the smaller tank doing now? I hope the livestock settles in and you're glad you at least get to still have a tank.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Ohohoh, thanks for reminding me.

My mini-maxi anemones are INSANELY huge! I could just have a mini maxi tank and be happy, heh. SPS aren't doing so well unfortunately, but my LPS are doing better than they were in the big tank.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:59 pm

So... YAY

All my LPS are starting to come back! Well, everything that lived through the first weeks of the change to the smaller tank.

How's the Tang doing in your tank, Cammie?

I hate myself sometimes. I want to upgrade already to a 45 breeder. It SHOULD fit on my stand, and then I could use all my rock, and make an all in one sump area and have the skimmer and stuff going...
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Glad things are turning around for you. The tang is doing great. It's funny though because he's pretty much the same colors as my blennie so after all the thought put into what fish I could get, I have two purple and orange fish. LOL Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum