Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The importance of sump/refugium

4 posters

Go down

The importance of sump/refugium Empty The importance of sump/refugium

Post by Nannook Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I think sumps are fascinating. I have seen so much activity scrubbing, living, working to clean the waste from the water. I have 2 inches of Miracle Mud in the center chamber of my refugium. I have plants cheato, and two other macro algae, I keep the light on 24x7 to keep the algae from going assexual and reproducing unchecked.
Also plumbing directs the water from the display tank towards the skimmer. The skimmer exit gets directed to the return pump. Not completely, but I think it helps.
The processes of dealing with waste and aeration are interesting and well worth the extra effort.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

The importance of sump/refugium Empty Re: The importance of sump/refugium

Post by blennieluvr Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry. I missed this post. I have been thinking a lot about sumps and fuges as of late. I totally agree with them being fascinating. As I posted in my build, I'm seriously considering a remote fuge so I can watch "stuff" in there. I like the mangroves and thought I could grow them in there too.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:40 am

I think a study group, or just a discussion on them would be interesting. I am having such huge issues with algae in my 45, that I am considering stripping it down.
I have put a small HOB skimmer on and am amazed at the gunk that it pulls out.
My tank is not drilled for a regular sump. Anyone have experience doing a tank without drilling?

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Holly has a sump without having a drilled tank. We're having a meeting at her house soon so maybe you could check it out and ask her questions.

You can google it and see all kinds of styles and designs. Drilled is better if a person can. Maybe we should see if your tank is tempered or not. I hope to be drililng my setup one day soon, we could possibly do yours at the same time?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 am

I have had a few different set ups. I had 2 undrilled tanks on my way up to a 75 this time. First I started with a pump and an above-tank refugium/sump so that pods wouldn't get destroyed with a passive flow-down. It was awful, to be perfectly honest. Second was a HOB overflow that can be adopted by anyone that wants/needs it. It worked, but occasionally it needed to be tinkered with. I'm not the tinkering sort, but I could get it going again with a airline tube
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:59 am

HOB is probably the way I'll have to go. I am not in a rush, got to understand the whole concept first. My stand would allow a tank underneath for the regular style.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down