Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting nps coral changes

2 posters

Go down

Interesting nps coral changes Empty Interesting nps coral changes

Post by GoingPostal Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 pm

For the last couple years my nps tank has been lit by a cheapo Menards under cabinet led light, so nothing useful I imagine and quite a ways from the tank anyways. So a few weeks ago I found a good deal on a used biocube 8 and moved them into there instead. First thing I notice under the new lighting (which is all of two 18w power compacts) is my balanos are different colored than they used to be. Now my newer colony has orange centers and my older one has orange/yellow highlights. Bizarre and I'm curious to see if they fade now. Also stupid me didn't even think about adjusting anything to the light and the sides of my dendros facing the light are now white instead of yellow. Bleached them.

Balanos now, ok crappy pic but look close
Interesting nps coral changes IMG_1551_zps146acf76

Recently after adding them
Interesting nps coral changes IMG_0421
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Interesting nps coral changes Empty Re: Interesting nps coral changes

Post by blennieluvr Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:00 pm

I have only been running my actinics on my NPS tank for 4 hours a day. Gary Parr mentioned that's what he did on a Reef Threads podcast, I think, so I set mine up the same way. I also remember from my research, some people said they just set their NPS tank up near their reef and let it get the spill off light. They seem fine with only actinics although I admit, I'd like to have them on more than 4 hours. I'm curious what will happen too.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Right now mine are under actinics 3-4 hours a day and white light 3-6. Haven't been running it much mostly because the rock is not used to it and started growing brown algae, but the bulbs in it were old that ran the first couple weeks, I replaced them last week with a new actinic and new 50/50 bulb. Also the fan is dying I think, sometimes it runs super loud so I don't like the turn on the white light if we aren't around. I should probably replace it lol but the coral don't care if there's light so it's low on my list. I had figured they would be stressed by the increase in light but really they seem to open/close about the same as before.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down