Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quarantine

5 posters

Go down

quarantine Empty quarantine

Post by blennieluvr Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

Does anyone run a quarantine tank? I was thinking that could be a meeting topic for this winter and am curious how many of us have them already.

I do not. I plan to when I set back up though as I'll be getting new fish.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

quarantine Empty Re: quarantine

Post by GoingPostal Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't but I rarely buy fish.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 am

Me either I guess but it's good to have the stuff on hand in case you have a problem.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodToGo Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 am

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I am early in the process of establishing my tank, so will have a 2 or 3 more fish yet to add. The first fish went right in the tank, but there were no inverts in there yet. Once the tank is stocked I'll empty out the QT and have it available as a hospital tank.

GoodToGo
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:36 pm

I do not run a QT at the moment, but I should... I don't plan on adding any new fish for awhile though so no need to keep it running. When I do need a QT though, I have numerous 10G and 20G tanks at home.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 pm

One gal in Bemidji had her fish for some time and then all of sudden had trouble with her tang and ended up losing all her fish..maybe more. I can't remember the total damage report. (It got caught in an egg crate cage and FREAKED OUT.) I think it's worth having at least the equipment handy (especially since it doesn't take much). I feel a bit foolish that I've not had one after all I've spent on other stuff for the hobby. I figure I'll do like GtG. When I'm not needing to add new fish, I can just keep it handy in case I need a hospital tank.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 am

Same Here I have never needed a QT, Acclimating properly you shouldn't need to QT unless it's wild caught or in bad shape when I get it, I've been lucky Tom will usually get me any fish I want so if it's healthy I acclimate it myself if it's in poor shape, I can watch it at the store and get a Hospital tank ready if needed.
I have found Acclimating my fish or stock to the environment they are going to be living in with as little stress as I can put on them that's why I try to choose my stock before I start my tanks so I can pick the order my stock will get acclimated with the least stress from other already housed in the tank and I haven't had any kind of disease in I can remember when?
And if I get Snails or shrimp from the wild I QHT them too.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: