Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can my brains touch?

5 posters

Go down

can my brains touch? Empty can my brains touch?

Post by Swanwillow Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 pm

I have two large Wellso brains *dances* but I have them fairly far apart. They'd look awesome closer together-can they touch without killing eachother? Or is that too risky?
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

can my brains touch? Empty Re: can my brains touch?

Post by icereefer Thu May 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Myself I wouldn't if they can touch each other they can get each other with there sweepers.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Hells yeah you can, I used to have 3-4 right by each other
can my brains touch? GreenbrainAug2008008
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu May 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Wow! I've had them take each other out and like yours do fine together,if you keep them well feed they do tend to not feel threaten by each other.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Great conflict guys! lol
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't know, two of them I had were in really poor condition when I got them and another got half eaten by an acan that fell on it and they all were fine together. Worst case scenario mine certainly recovered fast so give it a try and keep an eye on the situation maybe. Jim maybe you need to stop training and raising such vicious corals lol.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:27 am

No I guess I need to stop posting about the true Nature of corals and other live stocks warnings of behavior,just like putting warnings on non compatible fish together I see it all the time fish do great as youth I warn them others come on tell there stories how they've had theres together for years no problems and then a year later that same person is posting how can I catch there fish because it's beating up the other fish or eating there corals. No
Me Raising Mean corals has nothing to do with raising a coral from a frag to a mature colony lol! . Corals like fish and other live stock as they mature and get into breeding behaviors once was peaceful can turn from Lack of space,food source may thin out, who Knows.
And that's not Fair Tiff, I have watched you as a hobbyist for many years now do a lot of No,No's in this Hobby same as me and others and come out smelling like a Rose,this is were a lot of our husbandry skills have played in our favor but many haven't got them yet. and the true behavior of a coral or live stock should be warned to others.
like you and others I have non compatible corals grow threw each other with No ill affect and then slowly you see bits of the colonies slowly die off from space battles I like to call it. I've had brain corals over lapping each other with No problems like I posted,and then bang out of the blue there at each other.
so yes I do agree with you Tiff but then again one should warn others of there Natuaral behavior too.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am

Warning is fine, I've just never had an issue between like brains, I've wouldn't mix different kinds but I've always kept similar ones together without issue and never really heard it could be a problem until now, I've seen people keeping scolys and trachys together as well which I probably wouldn't risk but seems to work alright. All short tentacles fairly friendly corals though, not like dealing with favias, no matter how safely I try to place those seems we end up in a war.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

LPS corals are funny sometimes. I personally do not have any brains (yes I made a funny) in my tank like the ones described. I do believe from the information I have read though that you may be OK for awhile but in the end one will win over the other. Jim said it best where they may be fine as youth but as they mature behaviors will change... Here are some examples:

Milles - I have seen two different colors of millepora intertwined with each other and no recession of flesh.

Caps - Caps can grow together without issue most of the time, but one may be a faster grower or may encrust over the other one...

Favias - The sweepers really come out with these. I had 3 favias in my tank and all were doing just fine. They were within inches of each other for years. Then one morning I woke up and saw one had turned all white and another had a large section receeding. I moved them around, but later that day I saw that one of the favias decided out of nowhere it was going to release stinging tentacles and wipe out everything around it... It was totally unexpected.

Hammers - I have 3 different colonies of hammer corals. They have been resting on each other for about 2 years with no issue...

Yellow Tang - Perfectly peaceful fish for the longest time. It is now mature and falls in line with the movie "Grumpy Old Men' as he is the crankiest fish I have ever seen. Never used to pick on stuff until he matured. Same thing happened with my flame angel.

In the end I wouldn't focus on long term success with them that close. In the wild when this happens, one coral has to fight the other one off for space to grow. If you trigger this behavior in the captive tank, who knows what else may end up getting lost due to the experiment...
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 pm

My two cents..those brains do have pretty small feeders. But, then again, if you risk it, sometimes you pay a big price. Good discussion and that's all I have to add since you all covered it pretty well.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down