Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Splittiing Tube Worms

+2
GoingPostal
seaponygirl
6 posters

Go down

Splittiing Tube Worms Empty Splittiing Tube Worms

Post by seaponygirl Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello, the tube worms I bought at the Swap are splitting! So hopefully I will have two more. One is brown and white striped and one is grey/blue. I read that sometimes one of the splits will exit the tube and wriggle around. That has to be very strange to see. I hope they settle in if they do move.
Thanks again for all the awesome swaps and door prizes. We love just staring at the corals and polys. I know not a lot of action there, but at least they don't talk back!
Lastly I also got a giant clam. A small blue Tridacna, I think. We love it. Cool how they do move around some. I would love to get more small ones. One in each color. Any suggestions on good sources?
Enjoy the warm weather.
Seaponygirl

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Splittiing Tube Worms Empty Re: Splittiing Tube Worms

Post by GoingPostal Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm

It's exciting getting new stuff, I'm always paranoid something will bleach or die so shutting off the lights drives me nuts, I have a little flashlight to check on everything at night. Do you know what species of clam it is? I saw blue maxis and crocea there I think, we used to have a crocea but it died a few months back, they can be hard to find online sometimes, it kind of goes in spurts, dr. mac and liveaquaria usually have some. If you get a few or larger ones you might want a calcium reactor if you don't have one, they suck it up like crazy.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:43 pm

I believe it is a maxis as it has seven curves to the shell. It was from the seller on the far right. I am a sinner, not to remember who was who. I will get better. My water use to leave calcium deposits on my freshwater planted tank, so for now calcium and other minerals are probably good.
I did lose my new anemone, for several newbie reasons I'm sure, and a firefish. Too much too soon. I do have Happy happy peppermint shrimp and crabs as they are all dashing about the tank. Clammoo the soon to be Giant Killer Clam is still moving about a bit, but seems to have settled front and center of the tank. I certainly can see a coffee table full of clams. Next I want yard signs warning of the GKC.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:21 am

" My water use to leave calcium deposits on my freshwater planted tank, so for now calcium and other minerals are probably good."

This I's kind of confusing... Are you saying ur using tap water ? Also some test kits would benifit you greatly especially I'n keeping clams as there calcium intake I's insane ! I would recommend a good calc alk and mag test kit ! I use salifert although there are many other options... IMO and im sure others would agree salifert I's very reliable ! Judging by minerals left behind from evaporation I's not a valid way to verify water parameters ! If you are using tap water i highly highly recommend switching to ro/di water !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:33 am

I caught the same comment OBB... Tap water is bad. Especially with nems and clams as they can be picky.

Get an RODI system or buy distilled water to use. API makes a good hobbiest level test kit but Salifert is better. I have been using API from the start and am happy. Next time around I may try salifert though for better precision.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok, confusing I get. By calcium deposits on my freshwater plants, the calcium built up on the leaves, underwater, not evaporation. I use well water. VERY HARD well water. I am going to Fargo, Wednesday, and hopefull can pick up some test kits there. So what are we talking about with Reverse osmosis systems. What's the point? What's wrong with well water? I mean really what don't I know? Also please see my post about abbrev.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Tap water has lots of stuff in it you don't want in your tank. Tap has clorine, clormines, rust, flouride, nitrate, phosphates, copper, heavy metal, ect.... A ro takes out the metals, clorine, clormines, rust, ect... and the di takes out the nitrate and phosphates. Yes reverse osmosis.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 pm

MOst fish stores sell ro/di water by the bucket and should carry tests!
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Well water shouldn't have chlorine but will be full of heavy metals I'n
Most situations !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Have someone test the TDS of your water so you can see the level of contaminants you are dealing with. Typically well water is better than city tap water as it doesn't have all the chemicals in it. Unfortunately as OBB said there are other issues to worry about. There are many people in the Bemidji area that have TDS meters on their RODI systems. Maybe one can help you test the water. You will probably be amazed at how dirty the water really is Wink

Depending on your route you take to Fargo you have a couple options. Best Pets in DL carries Salifert. I believe he has them in stock, but call ahead to make sure. They are the only ones in the area to carry Salifert that I know of. Pets R Inn in the Fargo West Acres mall carries the Reef Master kit from API which should have most of what you need for a cycled saltwater tank (Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphates, nitrates). Salifert is higher quality and has a more accurate reading, but API works too and is really easy to use.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Yup best pets here I'n Detroit lakes has salifert I'n stock the complete line up ! I believe they also still carry API ! I think price should also be mentioned salifert will cost more to get into but will provide "more accurate results" API I's a very good intro level test although i would always forget how many drops i was on when someone bugged me using scaled syringes I's much easier for me although there I's a little learning curve ! Know I'm fairly quick with a salifert faster than API it seems ! There are many choices I'n equipment all varies I'n what your expectations or goals are ! Hope our info aids you I'n your choices Smile also different brand test kits provides different results usually to so Its all I'n which company you have trust I'n !
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm

...I just typed something out. UGH. Well.... to start over.

Well water doesn't usually have chlorine or chloramine in it. What it does have though are these:
mercury, arsenic and cadmium, Other heavy metals, copper, zinc, and chromium, lead...

It all depends on where you live.

What this means is that, over time, you'll have a build up of the heavy metals in your system. Every water change, and every time you top off you add more of the heavies into your system.

This doesn't mean your tank will crash immediately. It means that in a few months (or maybe even one) you'll start seeing algae breakouts. They'll get worse over time. (you add fertilizer each time you top off and do a water change) If you have copper in the system, you'll eventually start to see corals withering away. Slowly, over time.

The solution to this is an ro/di filter. You CAN buy gallon jugs at walmart. You can also buy it from Pet-Zone. I don't have a lot of stuff in my water other than lime, but I still use one because I'm sure that it added to my giving up the last time I had a tank going (constant algae battles)

Testing:

Test kits are great! But I don't have that many *makes a confession* I have nitrite, nitrate, alk, and ph. All by salifert. There aren't any reefing test kits for what's in tap water.

TDS is total dissolved solids. What they're saying is that you should be testing your total dissolved solids before you mix up water for your tank. 0 is what you want your water to be at when you're mixing salt into the water. I know, doesn't make a lot of sense to strip the water of the stuff in your water just to add it back in. BUUUUT in the end its good.

RO/DI filters. There ARE a few places to get them on the cheap! (thank god, otherwise I'd never ever have gotten one)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems Thats where I got mine. They aren't exactly name brand. But since I have a little nano (well, 40 total system gallons) one of their smaller units worked for me.

I buy most everything online. Amazon.com is great for finding test kits and such. Especially since Pet Zone doesn't have a big selection here in Bemidji-and while other places DO in the area, they're a bit of a drive (we cover a huge area)
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down