Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sponge growing on candycanes

4 posters

Go down

sponge growing on candycanes Empty sponge growing on candycanes

Post by obsessed Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 am

For a while now I have had white sponge growing on some of my rocks. It doesn't really bother me so I leave it alone. Now it is growing on the stalks of my green candycanes. How do I get rid of it? Don't even bother asking for pictures--my crappy camera doesn't even come close to what it looks like.
obsessed
obsessed
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 193

Back to top Go down

sponge growing on candycanes Empty Re: sponge growing on candycanes

Post by cdness Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Expose it to the air...

Sponges don't like being exposed to air. The candycanes will survive the air for a bit. Let them remain out of the water for 10 minutes or so then place back in the tank. Do this a few times until it goes away.

Also they don't like high light. Move the coral so the sponge is struck with intense light. It will make it receed.

Can also attempt Kalk paste but that can also damage the candycane so I would let that be a last resort...

Is the sponge hurting the candycane? If not, just let it be. I have certain sponges that show but do not disturb anything. They come and go with nutrient levels in the tank.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Problem is even if you kill it off they will usually come right back, the candy canes block out the light so it's a good spot for sponges, as long as it doesn't start growing over anything I leave them be but you can always scrub it off with a hard bristle brush if it bugs you.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by obsessed Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

it is starting to creep up to the heads and I think I may have lost a head to the sponge!
obsessed
obsessed
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeah as GP said they will most likely come back. Really the only way to make them receed is to make your water 100% pristine, while scrubbing it down or using another method to control what is there already...

What kind of filtration setup do you have? Skimmer? Dosing? What are your parameters at?
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Tooth brush, or go to the dollar store and stock up on long handled scrubbing brushes. I used one in the Science Center tank when we were scrubbing away the red slime and aips. Worked great.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by obsessed Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 pm

skimmer...no dosing...water changes every 2 weeks or so. Took them out and scraped off some while exposing to air. will go at the rest tomorrow with toothbrush. Thanks for the help!
obsessed
obsessed
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down