Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Candycane whyyyyy

3 posters

Go down

Candycane whyyyyy Empty Candycane whyyyyy

Post by Swanwillow Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 pm

So now I KNOW something strange is up with my lights.

And I forgot to post until now. DOH. I got those pretty pretty candy canes a week ago. They were nice and bright green when I got them. They turned to a pastel bluish/green under my lights. (Same day I got them) WTF! lol! Is that just my lights and the color candy canes will always be for me?
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Candycane whyyyyy Empty Re: Candycane whyyyyy

Post by GoingPostal Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Weird, are they the neon green ones? I have those and the blue/green ones and they've all stayed the same no matter what lighting it's been under. Is other stuff changing colors too?
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:30 pm

That IIII know of? Ummm, don't think so. Other than user error (High nutrients=browning montis, and high lights=bleaching acans) (both those issues are fixed!!! yay for colors coming back)

But I can't tell if other things are changing. I never looked before. Maybe I'll have to look at my duncans, then see what they look like in Cammie's tank to see if the colors are overly different. But I'm pretty sure mine are the same.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh! My war coral is more brown/purple than red. But I think that's the lights (under actinics its definitely purple and red)
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Swanwillow, are you using LEDs? I have heard that the corals can change colors but they do go back to normal over time with LED lights. It is something related to the spectrum of light they are receiving.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:28 pm

I do! But this wasn't a bleaching then returning, or a color change then back to normal. This was an automatic change. I have had my acans do that, and a few zoanthids. But it seems my candy canes are all going to be sea-green/blue
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah it isn't a bleaching I have heard about, I's more of a color change over time like 6 months or more where they turn pastel then come back over time. Corals will change colors based on their light too. I have noticed that with different T-5 lamps as well.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:40 pm

My acans definitely pastel-led then went back to full colors. Its amazing looking at them today, compared to even 2 weeks ago. This is very very different. I'm wondering what color the purple candy canes would look in my tank. If they turn into sea blue/green too, I'd cry. lol
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't think they would have changed color in just one day, maybe just the way the lights make them look, what do they look like out of the water?
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Well, in Andre's tank, they were dark neon green. The second they were under my lights, they turned aqua marine. (that's a good way to describe it) which is the same color as my other ones. I'm tempted to get out the 150 MH to see if they turn back to green. May test it tomorrow.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum