Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

something to talk about

+2
Home_Depot
Mn. reef crzy
6 posters

Go down

something to talk about Empty something to talk about

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm

I see like 10 people were on here today and no one has anything to talk about. Someone has to have been doing something with there tanks. I can start and say i finally decided to go with a set of tunzes. I am going to have a wavebox creating a 1.5 " wave in the tank and i went with two of the controllable stream pumps that will hopefully compensate my needs. I did decide to go with aquasurf which will run in conjunction with the ac3pro instead of using the tunze controller. I got my ac3 last week and it has been a challenge. hopefully i will have it hooked up to the computer by the end of next week. We also found 1 more shelf rock when we went down to swe this weekend.

Had to hook up a phosban reactor because algae plague, " I have never seen anything like this before." We are trying some of bulk reefs aluminum oxide stuff instead of phosban. I have heard that it is the best out there, salesmen are funny.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

something to talk about Empty Re: something to talk about

Post by Home_Depot Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:46 pm

I would have to agree with you Andre this place seems to have it moments one day there will be a bunch of posts and then nothing for a week or so.

Your set-up sounds like it is going to be a great one when you get it all up and running.

I am having a HA bloom for some reason. Two of corals I got from the guy in the cities died Sad the birdsnest and one of the others. It was doing great when I put them in there and in the morning I woke up and they were bleeched out and have no signs of life on them. well the birdsnest has one little spot were it is still alive so I hope it will take back off.

My big yellow tang died last week also not sure why I fed them the night before and eat it right up. it was looking kind of thin but it had looked like that before also.

There is a new member named alissa that is selling some fish and I might try and work out a deal for 2 of them.

Would a regal and a powder blue get along?

Also would a PC be good enough for a frag tank or should I get a MH I think I want to take my 20l and make it into a frag tank. Would I need a skimmer for it? I would like to do what you did but I don't have the room.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah i had a bloom of HA myself with some sort of red slim to go with it. I stacked up on inverts and hooked up the reactor and hopefully it goes away and never comes back, i also feel mine might have been from a lack of flow in my deep tank.

The new setup should be great, i feel i learned alot the first time and hopefully i will get what i want this time.

Sorry you lost some corals and fish. I think in a tank your size you would be fine with 2 tangs. how will the be introduced, are they already both together in her tank, if so i would say one would already be dead if they didnt get along.

I really do feel that people need to take advantage of this forum more to talk about stuff. It is just dead here sometimes and it is dissapointing because i know everyone has something going on in there tanks, this is saltwater here and everyone has something going on.

Frag tanks or grow out tanks IMO are a must if you are going to try and grow out from frags. I think that a pc light might just not have it if you are going to try and get sps to encrust. I also thought up to a month ago that you needed halides for sps and clams and it is simply just not that way according to PAR studies. I would say to get a little T5 I really like the tec one i went with. Sps are all encrusting and growing. LPS seem to like it almost more than halides. Alot of bright colors have came out of some of mine.

Skimmer if you are not in line with your tank i would say would be a must. Coral give off protein. bottom line, they also increase water quality and clarity meaning your lighting is actually doing what it should be.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:06 pm

OK tahnks for the info on the frag tank

She has got a yellow tang and a regal and I have the powder blue and was just woundering if I got the yellow and the regal if the PB would get along with the regal.
since they are close in shape and the same color.

I might try and sell my MH set up and get some t-5s but the bad thing is I would have to take my whole canopy apart to do it if I would sell them.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am

I'd like to see the tunze and wavebox setup. That stuff all feels over my head still.

Good luck with the algae. One of the least fun things about the hobby. That and dead critters.

Here's what's going on in my tank:
Jason took out the rocks that had nuisance algae on them. It was a red hairy kind that came over from the old tank. He scraped off every bit he saw and the tank looks great. I know I need a better light over our sump. I'll have to just go get something soon. I thought I ordered a good light from F&S but I didn't read the description well enough. It's a tiny little light for a office beta tank or something. Geesh!

Other than that, not much new going on. I got a finger leather from madman. It's pretty cool. The corals are finally coloring up. We didn't get new bulbs either. I was going to as I thought that was the problem but, just ass we were doing our F&S order, we noticed things were looking better. I think it's from feeding more and feeding better food. We still have some from that meeting we made it. I want to make more when this is gone.

I took pics last week. I just need to download some.

What's a good thing to do with frags of softies that pretty much everyone in our club that wants them already has? I have 2 rocks of yellow polyps, a whole bunch of little purple mushrooms that I plan to attach to a piece of rock and a couple of kenya branches.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Well....nothing's really going on here, too many other critters that are requiring all my money and the fish tank can take a hit so it has. I'm actually starting the build on my iguana cage which is going to be quite spendy and putting in a small bathroom in my downstairs so I'm broke for the forseeable future. Rolling Eyes I did buy Andre's light so that was a tank related expense but now I have to buy bulbs for it and the hanging kit, I think it'll be awesome once that is up and running though. Basically now I have to buy a pump and plumb to put water in the tank, still don't have a skimmer but only two small fish so not worried about it right off the bat. I've been working 45-50+ hours a week lately which is almost double what I usually do so life's been hectic.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by brad Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Not much new here. My 75g reef is going real well. Little bits of HA in it but nothing to to worry about yet. I am looking to upgrade to T5's but have to do a retrofit kit cause of my canopy.
Going to the cities on Aug 22-24 for the State Fair. I will be going to a few SW stores down there. It will be nice to get something new. Looking to get a yellow tang and some misc frags.
The wedding planning is going great, just ask the Mrs.
Lots of my time has been in the garden lately, weeding, watering, picking. Hope to store up a lot of veggies for winter. Have to make pickles, salsa, etc. Blueberry picking is very good this year. well i have put you to sleep so see ya later.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm

put the tunze wave box in today. Well i had to hang it cause magnets arent here yet, but it is pretty amazing! I cant really believe i am saying this but i actually think it was worth the money. It is extremely impressive.

Brad i really suggest saltwaterempire in the cities if you are going to a fish store.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schaver Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:14 am

yea thats the bad thing about summer, tanks genrally get neglected, to many other things going on and no time for tank time

My tank is doing good though still maintaining by itself. Sherry just feeds and adds water the funnist is that anenome i got from Mr. Cooper is hanging from my feeder station and has been there for 3 weeks and just hangs there up side down.

other than that my tank is doing great just a little HA starting on my over flow box and thats it in my display tank my refuguim is anougher story thou, thats full of it, its strange that it just stays down there like a magnet and no where else in the sump either
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:31 pm

nothing to feed on it down there probably. Tanks definitely get neglected and it is real funny watching how many people on like rc sell off there entire systems in the summer time.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down