Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macroalgea?

5 posters

Go down

Macroalgea?   Empty Macroalgea?

Post by GoingPostal Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, I'd really like to put some cool macroalgeas in my tank, the fowlr, I just don't know what some good ones would be and how to keep them alive, I've never had much luck keeping any algea alive for some reason. I was thinking maybe order some rock from sealife inc or someplace like that where it tends to come with a lot of natural growth, other problem is I would need to eggcrate it off so my foxface doesn't destroy it right off the bat, or find an algea that fish tend not to like to taste. I don't know, just seen a few really nice looking tanks with macros growing and it looks really natural and peaceful, there's not many corals in the tank so I'm not worried about it overgrowing stuff and I can manually remove as needed.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Macroalgea?   Empty Re: Macroalgea?

Post by cdness Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm

check out the guys over at reefcleaners.org. he is really nice to work with and has many different types of macros... many really awesome ones too. If you make an order, make sure to add a comment that cdness referred you Wink
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:40 pm

What, you getting kickbacks? lol!
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Oh thanks for the link though, great prices and nice variety of algae, just what I was looking for and info on them as well. Got a starting point for research now.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 pm

halimedia (sp?)
and red mangroves are both cool.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 am

I'd really like something red, that site has a lot of algae that supposedly isn't tasteful to fish so that's encouraging. I like the halimeda, the one that looks like little hard circles? And the shaving brush plants. Our local pet store got in some dwarf seahorses and has one of those and some other algea in their tank for gripping and that kind of got me interested in them.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

Oh I do think I'm going to wait until spring though, I think coming priority mail it'd freeze and I don't want to pay express really, gives me more than enough time to figure out exactly what I want and how to keep it. Hopefully anyways. In the meantime I'm going to try getting a fuge to go again, I never had any luck growing cheato in the past, it stays alive, but doesn't really grow? I'm going to try with a different light setup over the sump this time.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 am

Nope, no kickbacks. Just order almost all my cleaners from him as the prices are really good for the stuff he sends out. I have a couple red macros in my sump so I may be able to hook you up too when they grow out a bit.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:08 pm

So as an update to this, we were in Duluth a couple weeks ago and stopped by Matt's who was nice enough to give me some algea to try out, some different kinds of caulerpa and some seaweedy looking stuff, also some pretty red stuff. Yeah ok, I don't know what any of it is called and it makes no difference because after a day of being terrified of scary green stuff in the tank, my tang and foxface went to town and every stinkin bit is gone. Grape caulerpa especially a big hit. So much for the macro algea idea, but I have heard the harder stuff like halimeda and shaving bruss are less appetizing to herbivores, worth a shot or no? I'd be ticked, but at least it was free algea and the fish got a nice snack, the foxface looked bloated for days because he's such a pig. Oh but I put the cool red kind in my nano, have it held down with a frag plug cause I don't really know what to do with it yet.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Get some for free from someone and try it? Won't hurt... at least.
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Halimeda is hard to find "for free" LOL. Hard to find in general sometimes. FWIW Tiffany, the algaes were:

Caulerpa prolifera
Caulerpa mexicana (I believe)
Caulerpa racemosa
Gracillaria (very similar to the MacroFeast sold by Reef Nutrition which is a Hawaiian Red Gracillaria)
The unknown red...showed up in my tank after YEARS of it not being in there. It's something similar to the dragon flame/dragon tongue...beyond that I don't know.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum