Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heeeelllllooooo? What's going on out there?

+2
Mn. reef crzy
blennieluvr
6 posters

Go down

Heeeelllllooooo?  What's going on out there? Empty Heeeelllllooooo? What's going on out there?

Post by blennieluvr Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm trying to drum up some reef talk so what's going on with you guys? Let's post some pics (I should talk, I know!), talk about what's going on in our tanks or projects we might have going on.

Unfortunately, I've got a small amount of HA. That's my big news. Well, that and thinning out the tank. As stuff was growing out, it was getting pretty crowded. I realized last eve that my HA could very well be from adding the black clown pair and keeping my maintenance routine the same. And my little fishies have all grown so I'm sure that doesn't help either. Add that to the fact that Jason turned our skimmer down thinking things were going so well. He didn't tell me until I commented on green fur appearing in our tank. So, I had him adjust it to skim wetter, I did a 10% water change rather than 5 and plan to continue weekly with that, I turned the lights off one day, shortened my photoperiod and cleaned off my powerheads. My clean up crew is finally coming maybe next week. That should help too.

How about you all?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Heeeelllllooooo?  What's going on out there? Empty Re: Heeeelllllooooo? What's going on out there?

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I added rock from HD about two weeks ago, came with lots of different polyps and corals on them so it has been neat to see things come to life on his rock day by day, seems like i notice something new every day.

Thinking of turning my frag tank into a lps tank, my angels have been running havoc on them for a long time and i have tried trapping them and they just are not going in that thing ever. I will have to make my new refugium in my sump where it is really supposed to be anyway. Just curious and i hope no one is like wtf but has anyone ever heard of someone electro fishing basically to stun the fish. They would float to the surface and i could get them that way. I am assuming that the saltwater conductivity levels would really make it so i would not need a huge current source, maybe for say and lab power supply.

Other than that not a ton.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Heeeelllllooooo?  What's going on out there? Empty Re: Heeeelllllooooo? What's going on out there?

Post by GoingPostal Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Few things new-ish around here, replaced two of my majorly old bulbs over the 135 with 14K AquaMaxx, pretty nice color and they were on sale! Unfortunately pissed off some corals in that tank, my poor pagoda that's been declining for years for no apparent reason is receding more, and the big chalice in there was stung badly by my torch and big parts died off, whoops! Blennie, your blue cloves hate me! I think this has something to do with my awesome xenia killing skills as they are related but most of them have disappeared, very sad. My green polyped toadstool is long gone, I believe my foxface was nipping it, I know there are frags of this out there and would love to have a piece back for my nano please! But that's all coral in the "fowlr" anyways so I'm not too bummed, I'd like to try adding more softies and another anemone soon.

I finally rearranged the tank with my new rock from Garrett, not entirely happy but good enough, need to add a few more fish, my kole tang died after a week, the dwarf puffer is a picky SOB who only eats mysis and hides most of the time, lame. My gramma died, I think of old age so now we have the foxface, pair of flame hawks, dwarf puffer and cherub angelfish in there. Too cold to order fish now though so just planning what to get.

24 gallon, doing well, clam is still alive, coming up on a year yay! Everything seems to be growing and doing great in there, rearranged that as well to make room for some new additions and really like the new arrangement better than the last but the bulb is a year old and needs replacing. My clown pair are territorial biting monsters! Vicious! I tried taking some pics but my computer is broken and I don't want to upload them on this laptop.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Well my tank is slowly getting BARE!!!! I took the sump and all the lights down tonight so now I have to figure out if I want to put all the coral in containers tomorrow night or just get up extra early on Sunday and try and do it.. the bad thing is it will take about a hour to drain the tank. and about an hour to get all the corals into bags and such.. What are your guys opinion? would the corals be ok overnight in styrofoam coolers and heat packs??
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 am

My bulbs are due to be changed out in a month or so. I want to get to the point where I change out 2 at a time rather than all 4 at once. But, the only way I can think of taking care of that is changing out a set before they need to be and don't like that idea either. Maybe since it's getting close to time, that's aiding my algae growth? I guess I didn't say that it already looks better in my tank with the HA. But, I'm going to keep at it just the same. I know once it gets there, it's not usually a quick fix.

Sorry, Garrett. I haven't had anything bagged up that long to know. Hopefully, someone will pipe in. Do you miss your tank yet?

Tiff, I have a frag of that toadstool you can have. My clowns are territorial too. But, I do love them. One is hosting in my RBTA and the other in my frogspawn.

Andre, what size is your frag tank? Would be cool to have a strictly LPS tank IMO. Just look at Tiff's tanks! How fun to be able to see new stuff on the rocks like that again....almost like the honeymoon phase of reefing. Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Currently my tank is doing very well. I lost some stuff at the move but it's getting better now and I am getting some stuff to fill in the blank spots. Dealing with HA a little but I am getting to that today.

HD, I'll let you in on a personal experience with corals and coolers. My first tank move, I wasn't fullky prepared. I ran into issues and when that evening came (well 3:00 am actually) I decided that since corals can survive for over 24 hours in coolers when shipped I should be OK right... Well I left them in coolers with packs overnight and was going to get them in ASAP in the morning. In the end I lost over 75% of my corals and am still trying to track down some frags to replace what I lost...

I think the reason this happened is that when I bagged them I did not have anything to add oxygen to the bags to keep the water oxygenated for the bagged time. Either that or my water quality just sucked before I bagged them... Either way I found it wasn't a very good idea to leave them that long. In total they were in the coolers about 20 hours total...

My honest opinion would be bag them up late at night and be sure to get them unbagged ASAP in the AM. You should be fine with that...

Hey Cammie!!! Any chance you could send that rose/green mille frags with Garrett when he comes to Fargo? That would be super awesome if that would be possible Wink
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:48 pm

I plan to start bagging stuff about 9-10 tonight and leave about 7 -8 tomorrow morning so they will only be in coolers for about 12 hours hope they make it ok
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:09 pm

I can try to get stuff to him in the a.m. I have church at 9.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:19 am

wellllll

Got the tank (16 gallon Tetra somethingorother. Really neat silver trim) the top is taken off, thinking of ripping off the trim.

Got the light.

Found some really neat ideas for hanging the light.

And now I want someone who knows how to work metal to make me a stand and light holder.... I got an idea!

Does anyone have experience with ripping the top trim off a tank that's under 20 gallons? I see a few people that've done it on ten gallons..
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down