Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pH dive, help!

4 posters

Go down

pH dive, help! Empty pH dive, help!

Post by phoenix-cry Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Okay so I set up a stunning Fluval saltwater tank with a heavy light mod, the works. I have 6 pounds of live rock, soft corals and until this morning a very small clown fish.

The clownfish was dead this morning and half the zoos are closed up. This is due to a pH divebomb. Now, is the big question: is it the low gas exchange in the Fluval that may have caused this? Is it true that even if you get the lighting right that Fluvals still can't be a reef tank?

I did a waterchange of about 50% four days ago and I buffered the new water to a pH of 8.2 before adding it as well as heated it to 80 degrees. test once the water change was done and everything was perfect and for a few days everything was happy. then this morning the crash and a ph of about 7.

A friend just gave me a 12 gallon nanocube...I'm thinking of just switching over....but I LOVE my Fluval so much, but if it is going to crash at the slightest touch I think I should just move to 12 gallons.

phoenix-cry
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

pH dive, help! Empty Re: pH dive, help!

Post by GoingPostal Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Check the ph in the evening, it's always low in the morning when lights are off all night, may not be your issue at all, I can't see ph off killing anything and honestly buffering and messing is a hassle, some tanks run normally at a higher or lower ph than others and it varies throughout the day. What do you have for flow in the tank? I don't run covered tanks but I know many do with no issues for years.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix-cry Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:13 pm

I checked the pH again this afternoon and it is still at 7. The zoos are not happy, and it is the only water parameter that I find that is off. I had checked everything two days ago and it was fine, pH 8.2. I'm starting to think that it is a combination of low flow and low gas exchange.

phoenix-cry
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix-cry Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 pm

I know the buffering stuff is a pain in the ass, but before I used buffer my zoos were never happy.

phoenix-cry
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Can we get more info on your set up? Just how old is the tank?
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Ph buffers do more harm than good. They will raise or lower and bonce back after a day or two. There are only a few safe ways to mess with your PH, ro water, co2 will lower and baking soda should raise it. Baking soda is also what we use to adjust alk which is the buffer for PH. The higher the alk the hard it is to affect your PH, raise or lower.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by phoenix-cry Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 pm

I use RO water to mix my salt and the pH in the mixed water is always so low.

How much baking soda per gallon do you use?

phoenix-cry
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I don't have to add any to new salt as it is already good I do have to add cal and mg. You should only have to add if your alk is low. I do use it for my 2 part as baking soda is the alk portion and calcium and mag. What brand salt are you using? What is your alk,cal and mag at?

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum